The RustDT Eclipse IDE thread

It's under the root "Rust" preferences entry, should look something like this:

1 Like

And a miracle occurred! That worked, substituting .rustup for .multirust, after I copied the Rust src folder from where I had it.

I had installed Rust well before I started using RustDT and had the Rust sources and binaries in a different location. One mystery is why rustup didn’t install them in the right place, but maybe it detected that I already had a directory with them.

Thanks so much. I can no go from fighting Eclipse back to fighting the Rust compiler :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm am able to run my program in Eclipse, but debugging isn't working. I set a break point at the println in

fn main() {
println!("Multicell Routing");
return;
}

but the program doesn't stop at the breakpoint, nor does it stop if I set "Stop on startup" in the debug configuration. I'm confused, because debugging was working before my latest update with rustup.

I installed gdb with brew, and the debug configuration points to /usr/local/bin/gdb with a gdb command of ~/.gdbinit, which has one line, set startup-with-shell off.

(sorry for late reply)
Hum, first try the breakpoint on a statement like a function call. Sometimes macro invocations confuse the debugger, I'm not sure that works all the time.

But most likely this is a OS X issue, or simply a GDB issue. You'll need to try with GDB command line, and see if that works there. If it doesn't there much Eclipse or any other IDE can do.

Eclipse used to stop at the break points. The only difference is whatever
rustup did the last time I ran it.

At this point, I've given up. Instead, I'm using VS Code. Unfortunately,
I can't get VS Code to detect syntax errors in real time or highlight
compiler errors on build. My solution is the ultimate hack. I edit in
Eclipse and debug in VS Code. It's terrible but not as terrible as it
sounds.

Again, did you try to run GDB in the command-line, to try to isolate the problem?
I get a lot of issues opened in RustDT related to debugging in OS X, but more than half of them turn out to be GDB in OS X problems, not Eclipse related.

gdb appears to be running correctly. I can set a breakpoint in main (Not my main, but it does stop.) and can single step. I haven’t figured out the syntax to make it stop in one of my functions. I’d keep trying, but I’ve got a deadline this week and a workaround using VS Code.

Hey everyone, I'd like to announce I'm am no longer going to be contributing to RustDT, I'm afraid. Not just a lack of time, but I have somewhat drastically completely lost interest in the Eclipse IDE. (you can read more about it here if you're curious: Goodbye to Eclipse)

If anyone is interested in taking over the project, let me know. With RustDT it particularly saddens me to let it go, not only because Rust was by far my favourite language of the 3 (I was also the main dev of Goclipse and DDT), but also because there was quite a few embedded systems developers interested in Eclipse. Embedded/bare-metal C development is one last hold out where Eclipse is still fairly popular, so naturally if those devs would be interested in Rust they'd usually be keen on using Eclipse too.

In practice, RustDT is fairly solid as it stands, so I imagine it will continue to be usable for a long time (given that it relies on Racer for the actual semantic engine). As Rust LSP support matures and you still want to use Eclipse, you might want to switch to an Eclipse extension that supports LSP directly, they are being developed at the moment. Although, to be honest, at this stage I would not recommend Eclipse to Rust devs or anyone, the Eclipse IDE doesn't have much of a future. (for more details you see my blog post)

1 Like