The Rust Bookshelf

Terrific idea..One of the major obstacles I ran into trying to learn Rust was my wasting lots of time unknowingly reading outdated documents and Rust tutorials designed for people just starting their journey into programming.

IMHO what`s needed is a way for people experienced in other languages to quickly get into Rust as it exists today vs older Rust versions. A Rust 'bookshelf' updated to reflect changes to Rust lang as it evolves is a major need that I hope the Rust custodians will continue to support.

Honestly, I am unsure what exactly you are proposing.

1 Like

Not sure what tutorials you've been looking at, though if you haven't already, I definitely recommend reading The Book (even if you're experienced in other languages). It is linked on the website, and comes up top on google, so tbh I'm not sure why people don't read it.

In my experience and from listening to the experiences of others it can be a mistake to assume that because one is an experienced programmer, with a few other languages under their belt, that is not required to start out with Rust as a total beginner.

That is to say, don't skip over The Rust Book: The Rust Programming Language - The Rust Programming Language assuming that it is pitched a beginner programmer level.

The book certainly starts from some very basics. Bear in mind though that Rust language is sufficiently different and offers features that don't exist in many other languages, including one of its major selling points, the "borrow checker" that does not exist in any other language I know, that it is essential to cover those basics in detail. Even for those experience in other languages.

1 Like

Here is an example of what the OP describes.

If one googles for "rust macro book" one of the top links is this:

https://danielkeep.github.io/tlborm/book/index.html

It contains some a lot of details not covered by other books, but it's five years old. A casual reader may not be aware of the age unless they visit the github repository.

Perhaps in some 'awesome list' of rust books, when books are older, if the age were noted, it would help those new to rust be aware of limitations of the given book.

2 Likes

There's this list of books and guides on the official Rust website.

Perhaps the Edition Guide meets this need? There's also the active (and implemented) RFCs, though that's much more of a reference than something you can easily browse.