Sync, Send, &dyn Trait

Summary

I'm trying to parallelize code which operates on a type that, at its core, looks like this:

struct MyType {
    inner: Box<dyn MyTrait>,
}

impl MyType {
    pub fn new(make_inner: &(dyn Fn() -> Box<dyn MyTrait>)) -> Self {
        Self { inner: make_inner() }
    }
}
The initial compiler error is ... (click to expand)
error[E0277]: `(dyn MyTrait + 'static)` cannot be shared between threads safely
   --> src/io/hdf5.rs:102:10
    |
102 |         .map(my_function)
    |          ^^^ `(dyn MyTrait + 'static)` cannot be shared between threads safely
    |
    = help: the trait `Sync` is not implemented for `(dyn MyTrait + 'static)`
    = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `Sync` for `Unique<(dyn MyTrait + 'static)>`
    = note: required because it appears within the type `Box<(dyn MyTrait + 'static)>`
note: required because it appears within the type `MyType`
   --> src/foo.rs:21:12
    |
21  | pub struct MyType {
    |            ^^^^^^
    = note: required because it appears within the type `&MyType`
    = note: required because it appears within the type `[closure@src/io/hdf5.rs:95:26: 99:6]`
note: required by a bound in `rayon::iter::ParallelIterator::map`
   --> /home/jacg/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/rayon-1.5.3/src/iter/mod.rs:586:34
    |
586 |         F: Fn(Self::Item) -> R + Sync + Send,
    |                                  ^^^^ required by this bound in `rayon::iter::ParallelIterator::map`

For more information about this error, try `rustc --explain E0277`.
error: could not compile `petalo` due to previous error

Wherever I try to add Sync (and/or Send) constraints, it quickly leads to an explosion of compiler errors, which give the impression of only taking me further from a working solution.

It's not clear to me whether these constraints should be introduced as supertraits of MyTrait or only in some select locations where generic types appear, or both.

(I am not at all convinced that the design of MyType and MyTrait is a good one: maybe reviewing these would simplify the problem.)

The Question

How should I go about making this code parallelizable?

In more detail

At the risk of missing out some crucial information on the one hand, and giving irrelevant info on the other, here is further information about the context:

1. My code requires the use of multi-dimensional histograms (for which I use ndhistogram).

2. The number of dimensions in the histogram is not known until runtime.

3. ndhistogram represents histograms with different dimensions, by different types.

4. I have an abstraction (names changed, to remove potentially confusing, irrelevant domain-specific details)

pub trait SingleHisto {
        fn fill (&mut self, datum: &Datum);
        fn value(&    self, datum: &Datum) -> usize;
    }

whose purpose is to allow histogramming of values of the type I care about in my program (Datum), without caring about the number of dimensions in the underlying histogram. Behind the scenes, fill and value must extract however many features are needed from the datum, in order to associate it with a praticular bin in the histogram.

This trait is implemented for histograms with different numbers of dimensions, for example

impl<X, Y> SingleHisto for ndhistogram::Hist2D<X, Y, usize>
    where
        X: Axis<Coordinate = Datum>,
        Y: Axis<Coordinate = Datum>,
    {
        fn fill (&mut self, datum: &Datum)          {  Histogram::fill (self, &(*datum, *datum)) }
        fn value(&    self, datum: &Datum) -> usize { *Histogram::value(self, &(*datum, *datum)).unwrap_or(&0) }
    }

5. I actually need multiple similarly-shaped histograms to work with, so there is a concrete type for holding these together in a single object

pub struct MultiHisto {
        aaa: Box<dyn SingleHisto>,
        bbb: Box<dyn SingleHisto>,
    }

with an interface for constructing, filling and querying the inner histograms

impl MultiHisto {

pub fn new(make_empty_single_histo: &(dyn Fn() -> Box<dyn SingleHisto>)) -> Self {
             let aaa = make_empty_single_histo();
             let bbb = make_empty_single_histo();
             Self { aaa, bbb }
         }

pub fn fill(&mut self, kind: Kind, datum: &Datum) {
             match kind {
                 Kind::AAA => self.aaa.fill(datum),
                 Kind::BBB => self.bbb.fill(datum),
             }
         }

pub fn value(&self, datum: &Datum) -> ... {
            // some function of `aaa` and `bbb` in the relevant bin
         }
     }

6. Having filled a MultiHisto, it needs to be queried repeatedly while processing a bazillion Datums.

let multi_histo: MultiHisto; // Initialized somehow
    let pre_data: Vec<PreDatum>; // Initialized somehow

// Closure converting one `PreDatum` into one `Datum`. Uses `multi_histo`.
    let pre_datum_to_datum = |pre_datum: PreDatum| {
        let mut datum: Datum = pre_datum.into();
        datum.feature = multi_histo.value(&datum);
        datum
    };

// Generate bazillion data. Queries `multi_histo` via `pre_datum_to_datum` closure
    let data: Vec<_> = pre_data
        .into_iter()                // want .into_par_iter()
        .map(pre_datum_to_datum)
        .collect();

7. I would like to parallelize this process, by replacing into_iter with rayon's into_par_iter. Trying this gives me the error

error[E0277]: `(dyn SingleHisto + 'static)` cannot be shared between threads safely
       --> src/io/hdf5.rs:102:10
        |
    102 |         .map(pre_datum_to_datum)
        |          ^^^ `(dyn SingleHisto + 'static)` cannot be shared between threads safely
        |
        = help: the trait `Sync` is not implemented for `(dyn SingleHisto + 'static)`
        = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `Sync` for `Unique<(dyn SingleHisto + 'static)>`
        = note: required because it appears within the type `Box<(dyn SingleHisto + 'static)>`
    note: required because it appears within the type `MultiHisto`
       --> src/histos.rs:21:12
        |
    21  | pub struct MultiHisto {
        |            ^^^^^^^^^^
        = note: required because it appears within the type `&MultiHisto`
        = note: required because it appears within the type `[closure@src/io/hdf5.rs:95:26: 99:6]`
    note: required by a bound in `rayon::iter::ParallelIterator::map`
       --> /home/jacg/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/rayon-1.5.3/src/iter/mod.rs:586:34
        |
    586 |         F: Fn(Self::Item) -> R + Sync + Send,
        |                                  ^^^^ required by this bound in `rayon::iter::ParallelIterator::map`

For more information about this error, try `rustc --explain E0277`.
    error: could not compile `foo` due to previous error

This captures a &multi_histo (since .value() is by &self), so in order for that closure to be Sync / callable in parallel, you need &mult_histo, and thus, mult_histo, to be Sync, which is indeed intuitive:

1. the closure calls multi_histo.value(…),

2. so for the closure to be callable in parallel, multi_histo.value() needs to be callable in parallel to.

3. but multi_histo.value() delegate to the dyn SingleHisto you had in aaa and bbb:

So the & functions of aaa, and bbb, such as SingleHisto::value() need to be callable in parallel too.

4. In Rust you almost never express such specific constraints, and rather require that all of the &-based APIs of a type be safe to call in parallel, i.e., that the type(s) be Sync.

So the types of aaa and bbb need to be Sync, and this is a genuinely correct requirement (not a "silly type error which can be worked around" (which could happen in other cases, such as Box<dyn FnMut()> not being Sync)).

So I would add + Sync to the dyn Traits of aaa and bbb and fight my way from it.

One important thing that we may be missing, is that you may be wanting to parallelize in one place, but be multi-thread-agnostic / be fine with being single-threaded in many other places, and in that case this Sync will ripple in a very unconvenient fashion.

In that case, you could consider replacing the dyn SingleHisto hard-coded type with a generic : ?Sized + SingleHisto type (potentially defaulted to = dyn SingleHisto to reduce churn elsewhere), and in this specific situation, override the default with dyn SingleHisto + Sync :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.