std::process::Command and command-line length limits

I’d like to create a subprocess with a lot of arguments. Every OS has some upper limit on how long the commandline can be. For my purposes, creating a process with X arguments, then creating a second process with the next Y arguments, then creating a third process with the next Z arguments etc. is an acceptable workaround. But I can’t see any obvious way to see if the next arg will push me over the limit. I can’t even see an OS-agnostic way to see if a given spawn call failed because the command-line was too long.

Am I missing something, or do I need to raise some feature-request/bug against std::process::Command? And in the meantime implement my own estimation of how long the command-line will be and track down some lowest-common-denominator limit across all OSs I can use as a hard-coded limit?

If it’s truly target dependent and the current std::process::Command doesn’t follow that limit, I’d suggest raising a bug report. Similarly, you may want to look at filing a similar bug with std::env::args and std::env::args_os. Perhaps on those latter two it’s simply documenting, “a maximum of X args can be passed in” where X is dependent on the target.

How many arguments are you talking?

As many as will fit. I’m looking to write some xargs like functionality

Have you looked at how xargs itself does it? For instance, there’s xargs --show-limits, which gives this on Fedora 25:

Your environment variables take up 3723 bytes
POSIX upper limit on argument length (this system): 2091381
POSIX smallest allowable upper limit on argument length (all systems): 4096
Maximum length of command we could actually use: 2087658
Size of command buffer we are actually using: 131072
Maximum parallelism (--max-procs must be no greater): 2147483647

There’s also getconf ARG_MAX, using sysconf(_SC_ARG_MAX), which gives me 2097152.

Oh I can work it out easily enough in linux-specific C. I might even be able to do it in rust with inside a bunch of [cfg] blocks. But I’d prefer to have the OS-specific bits abstracted away inside std::process:Command. If nothing elseI’d have to replicate all the knowledge of how the module generates the command-line, adds escaping characters, deals with more-than-2-bytes-long unicode char points etc.

I’ve raised https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/40384