[solved]Newbie:Is there a generic length of an array constant?

Hello!

I’m trying to write my first library in Rust. I want to define a bitset type big enough to hold a bit for each item in a constant array of strings passed into a constructor. It sounds simple enough but there doesn’t seem to be a trait or macro defined for that purpose yet as far as I can see. Any hints?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

Do you mean, you want to find out the number of elements you have in a slice or vector passed into your function?

let my_slice=[1,2,3];

println!("Length of slice: {}", my_slice.len());

let my_vec = vec![1,2,3,4,5,6];

println!("Length of vector: {}", my_vec.len());

I must be misunderstanding your question because that seems too simple…

0 Likes

That’s it! What reference are you looking at to find all the methods of each type? The hard part is going to be coercing the allocation into a custom type size so that if there are more than 32 elements that I change the type to contain the membership set to be a u64 instead of a u32.

0 Likes

For size of any in-memory object you should be using usize, not u32 or u64 - that’s what it was designed for.

For example, here’s the reference on the slices you were looking for in this topic: https://doc.rust-lang.org/std/primitive.slice.html

0 Likes

Thanks for the link! The reason I want to use the smallest size I can fit into is that there will be literally dozens of these bitsets all over the code and all of them will need to be serialized into a file at some point.

0 Likes

Just remember Knuth’s sage comment: “Premature optimization is the root of all evil”. Code, benchmark, then micro-optimize.

0 Likes

Fair enough. I’m writing cross platform file access though and usize isn’t portable for writing to a file.

EDIT:
I thought of another, better way to do it: since the elements will be unique to each set and not repeated in any others, I can store the index that it needs to be in in a single byte per item.

0 Likes

If the max bitset size is not yet known, you could define a symbolic type for the integer type that you want to use to represent a bit set:

type bitset = u64;  // or u32 or u128 or …

To avoid endianness issues on different platforms, which apply to any multi-byte numeric type, I personally would try to use the bitflags crate, and if that didn’t work out I might use

const MAX_BITSET_BYTES = 4;       // can be resized as needed
type bitset = u8[MAX_BITSET_BYTES];
0 Likes