[SOLVED] New to rust - problem running first program

Hi folks, Windows user here. Recently installed 1.0.0 stable and manually added the bin folder to the system path. Typing $ rustc --version in GitBash works as expected.

I’m able to create a rust source file - using the .rs file extension - and compile into an executable by running rustc hello_world.rs (which creates hello_world.exe).

However, I’m not able to run the executable. In GitBash, I receive the error: sh.exe": ./hello_world: Bad file number

In the command window (with and without Administrator rights) , I receive the error: Access is denied.

Running ls -l in GitBash, the access rights are -rwxr-xr-x on the executable.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I’m using Windows 8.1 64-bit. Installed rust from: rust-1.0.0-x86_64-pc-windows-gnu.msi

Could you try compiling a program with Rust from cmd.exe and see if the resulting binary can be run that way?

Also, did you install Rust to the default location?

Hi retep998,

Compiling with cmd.exe results in no change (previously, I was using the GitBash command line to compile). It gives me an executable file but an error when I run it “Access is denied.”

I installed Rust to the default location.

Thank you for replying and trying to help me figure this out.

Where are you building the code? Are you in a directory that you own and have full permissions to?

On my desktop, I have a folder called rust. Within that folder I have another folder called hello_world.

At the command line, within the rust folder typing $ ls -la it shows the access rights to the folder hello_world as drwxr-xr-x. I am the only user and administrator on my computer - I own and have full permissions with all files and folders.

Could you perhaps share the binary you’ve built?

Sure thing, here it is on my GitHub.

https://github.com/0x0936/temp_rust_repo

Problem solved. Moving the project directory into C:\ allowed me to run the program.

Taking another look at permissions from before, the Desktop folder doesn’t have write permissions - I don’t understand why, I can Create/Read/Update/Delete/Execute files on my desktop. This is the first time I’ve seen this issue.

Thanks again for your time retep998, and I hope this helps anyone else that may stumble upon this issue.