Slow startup of rust-analyzer

Hi!
rust-analyzer is very cool, and I want to switch my NeoVim to it instead of RLS, but there is one thing blocking me — startup times. rust-analyzer seems to take 1-2 minutes on startup each time. It may work for editors that launch once and stay running for the long time, but it doesn't really pair with my Vim workflow (edit file, return to terminal, cargo run, edit next file).

Since it seems that many people are using rust-analyzer with (Neo)Vim, I wonder how they solve this problem. Is there any option for RA to cache its state, or, may be, persist in background between editor launches? Maybe there is a nightly version of rust-analyzer with improved startup times?

Thanks in advance!

When I want to do a cargo run, I press ctrl+z to suspend the nvim process, run my commands, and then do fg to get back.

1 Like

You could check out :term, so that you can have your nvim process running indefinetly, and run all your commands like cargo run in the builtin terminal.

Using ^Z or :term is probably an option, but I found it hard to get used to (and 1.5m pause on first opening the project is still there). Unfortunately, it seems to be the only option.
Thanks, I'll try to get used to ^Zing instead of closing NeoVim completely.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.