Simple project recompiles all dependencies when files change

Hello, I’m new to Rust and have started my first project which uses the flate2 crate.

Whenever I edit my own code and run cargo build, all dependencies appear to get recompiled. Is this normal behavior or a bug? I found an issue on GitHub, but it seems to be resolved.

cargo --version: cargo 0.13.0-nightly (109cb7c 2016-08-19)
rustc --version: rustc 1.12.0 (3191fbae9 2016-09-23)

Below the output of a project created via cargo new testapp --bin. Only Cargo.toml has been modified to contain flate2 as a dependency. Between each build, main.rs is modified, e.g. by adding a blank line:

user@host:/tmp/testapp$ cargo build
    Blocking waiting for file lock on build directory
   Compiling gcc v0.3.35
   Compiling libc v0.2.16
   Compiling miniz-sys v0.1.7
   Compiling flate2 v0.2.14
   Compiling testapp v0.1.0 (file:///tmp/testapp)
    Finished debug [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 4.20 secs

# --- no change to main.rs here --

Finished debug [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 0.0 secs

# --- main.rs modified here --

Blocking waiting for file lock on build directory
   Compiling gcc v0.3.35
   Compiling libc v0.2.16
   Compiling flate2 v0.2.14
   Compiling testapp v0.1.0 (file:///tmp/testapp)
    Finished debug [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 4.15 secs

I can’t reproduce this. I’m on Debian Linux.

[steve@becoming tmp]$ cargo new testapp --bin                                                                                                                                                         
     Created binary (application) `testapp` project                                                                                                                                                   
[steve@becoming tmp]$ cd testapp/                                                                                                                                                                     
[steve@becoming testapp (master)]$ echo "flate2 = '*'" >> Cargo.toml                                                                                                                                  
[steve@becoming testapp (master)]$ cargo build                                                                                                                                                        
    Updating registry `https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index`                                                                                                                                  
   Compiling gcc v0.3.35                                                                                                                                                                              
   Compiling libc v0.2.16                                                                                                                                                                             
   Compiling flate2 v0.2.14                                                                                                                                                                           
   Compiling testapp v0.1.0 (file:///home/steve/tmp/testapp)                                                                                                                                          
    Finished debug [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 3.26 secs                                                                                                                                   
    Finished debug [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 0.0 secs                                                                                                                                    
[steve@becoming testapp (master)]$ touch src/main.rs                                                                                                                                                  
   Compiling testapp v0.1.0 (file:///home/steve/tmp/testapp)                                                                                                                                          
    Finished debug [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 0.25 secs    

This log is on nightly, but seeing the same on stable 1.12.

This seems very suspicious to me…

Do you have something compiling in the background? Like an editor plugin, perhaps with a different version of rustc? That would definitely cause cargo to redo everything with different compilers.

Extending a bit on what @cuviper said, I’ve hit a similar problem when using Atom’s linter: https://github.com/AtomLinter/linter-rust/issues/77 … so it’s possible your editor tools are contributing to the behavior.

Apparently this particular bug might be solved soon by this recently merged cargo issue.

Is it possible that some of your tools are touching stray files in the source directories?

Then it’s possible that misconfigured build scripts cause the rebuilds. Do you have a “build script” (build.rs)? Use rerun-if-changed by default

@cuviper, @codingcampbell: I think you guys were on the right track. I’m using Atom with the Rust linter and if I edit main.rs with a plain text editor, the behavior is as in steveklabnik’s demonstration.

I had already disabled Atom’s Racer plugin, which I suspected could be responsible due to the local files is creates when running. I felt certain the other Rust related tools wouldn’t have such an effect, but apparently they do.

Hopefully the aforementioned changes to cargo will affect this issue. Thanks for the help!

Also it should be possible to use a nightly cargo and a stable rustc to mitigate this issue until 1.14 is released.

A helpful trick to diagnose these sorts of problems is to set this environment variable:

RUST_LOG=cargo::ops::cargo_rustc::fingerprint=info

That should help print diagnostic information about why recompiles are happening. Note that I’d definitely love to make this an official feature!

Re-upping for reference: it is the Atom Linter plugin, which has a flag to use Cargo if it’s available for linting. If you use it (e.g. with cargo clippy, cargo check, etc.), it will apparently make a nice mess of your .cargo directory and trigger this rebuilding issue. Gladly, it should be gone by the end of the year; and I may just be running on nightly for a little while for this alone.