Similar items in core and std

As a beginner to Rust, I am a bit confused by same (similar ?) items I find in the core and std libraries.

For example there is core::iter::iterator and std::iter::iterator.

• Is there an easy way to identify what are the differences and which one to use (in general, not only for example above) ?
  • How do I decide which one to use ?

I understand this might be stupid question :confused:

std re-exports everything that core and alloc contain (but there's also things in std that only std contains.) Unless you're writing a no_std crate, you only need to worry about & use std. The “similar” items are actually exactly the same items, there's no difference.

2 Likes

Thanks steffahn ! :slight_smile:

FWIW:

In layman terms,

• ::core features the OS-agnostic abstractions (which includes atomics when they are available)

• ::alloc then adds the abstractions that are OS-agnostic but for assuming there is an allocator available, i.e., that "there is a heap"; such as Box, Vec, String, {A,}Rc.

• ::std then adds everything else, which includes:

• I/O (::std::io module),

• high-level synchronization primitives such as Mutex and channels.

By default, a crate has access to ::std, and thus, everything, by using ::std paths. ::core is still also available in the prelude, so if you fancy it, you could use ::core-based paths to refer to OS-agnostic abstractions, such as ::core::mem::swap. In practice, there are only two reasons to do that:

• when within a macro which wants to be usable in places where ::std is not available;

• I personally do that when providing code examples, to get people used to knowing what may and what may not be available in ::core, to make a future transition to #![no_std] environments easier :slightly_smiling_face:

But, as I just mentioned, there are environments where ::std is not available, such as "bare-metal" programming, where no OS is available. This happens very often when doing embedded programming. In those cases, one has to deal with #![no_std]-annotated crates, whereby making ::std unaccessible (unless one were to opt back into std through an extern crate std, but in that case they'd no longer have the std prelude)

• So, such crates, by default, only have access to ::core.

• They can, however, embed a middle-ground crate, such as ::alloc, when their embedded environment allows it, by adding an extern crate alloc; declaration.

This allows them to use ::alloc-qualified paths.

3 Likes

Thanks @Yandros !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.