Should I include the error type when defining an error in Rust?

I'm defining a customized error type using the crate thiserror. Below is an example.

use thiserror::Error;

#[derive(Error, Debug)]
pub enum ParseRankError {
    #[error("{0} is not a valid symbol for card rank!")]
    InvalidSymbol(char),
    #[error("{0} is not a valid integer for card rank!")]
    InvalidInteger(u8),
}

My question is should I include the error type in the error messages? That is, should I do it the following way?

use thiserror::Error;

#[derive(Error, Debug)]
pub enum ParseRankError {
    #[error("ParseRankError::InvalidSymbol: {0} is not a valid symbol for card rank!")]
    InvalidSymbol(char),
    #[error("ParseRankError::InvalidInteger: {0} is not a valid integer for card rank!")]
    InvalidInteger(u8),
}

Any suggestion here?

1 Like

In my case, I've found most of my effort to setup highly detailed errors upfront to have been time wasted. My current strategy is:

1. output the dumbest of errors (as long as it's unique)
  2. when I hit the error and need a helpful msg for debugging purpose, I go back, refine on the error type, recompile, and go from there
2 Likes

I found it useful to include the error type in the error. I can often tell what went wrong at a glance.

No, it shouldn't. Display (which is what [error()] macro implements) is supposed to be for end users, and unless your application is for Rust programmers, the type shouldn't matter.

The Debug output is meant for programmers, and the default implementation already includes the type.

6 Likes

What if I want to print out the error message by myself? I have an interactive command-line application which handles user input. When an user enters invalid input, the Error is handled (as I don't want to terminate the interactive application). Basically, I print out the error message using eprintln! and allows the user to reenter information. I found that eprintln! does not include error type name by default. Is there a way to include the error type name when I want to print out the error message by myself?

Rather than trying to meticulously craft detailed error messages, I found it way more useful for debugging to include a stack trace in the error and print it when displayed. (Maybe only in the alternate representation, using the # flag.)

1 Like

Another option is to use a library like log or tracing to dump your highly detailed error messages, and let stderr stick with the more user-friendly output.

Neither log nor tracing output type names of errors, right?

It depends whether you use Debug ({:?}) to print the error or Display ({}). As mentioned by @kornel the default Debug implementation shows the concrete type while the Display implementation is meant for end users, therefore, usually does not include the type.

BTW Rust has no type reflection, i.e. type names are removed in the code, which means you can't request a type's name at runtime unless you coded it somewhere, e.g. in the default derive for the Debug trait.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.