Sharing compiled libraries across cargo builds

Hello,

i was looking today at a release build taking 100% of my cores, and noted some of the crates being built were actually the same.

Does cargo have a way to store the binaries build from external crates, so that they aren’t build every single time a project on the same computer needs them?

If not, is this eventually planned?

Thanks in advance

Different projects may have different codegen options, etc. As such, the source is stored globally, but the output is stored per-project.

But, it seems like you’re talking about within a project, not across different projects? Can you show the output you were talking about?

It was briefly brought up by @eddyb on this thread:

Different projects may have different codegen options, etc. As such, the source is stored globally, but the output is stored per-project.

Well, I can do this in C++.

For example, the last company I actually did heavy use of C++, we were using Clearcase builds on HP-UX, which shared .o and .a files across all projects.

So I would do clearmake clean all at the repository root and be assured each shared .o and .a files would be built exactly once.

Hence why I was starring at the way cargo works, just with source dependencies, and wondering about the time wasted compiling common dependencies.