Safety vs Control

Ever since I went to a talk from @nrc a few years ago, I’ve reflected more and more about the face that Rust is attempting to provide you with something that other languages haven’t been able to: ergonomic and safe control.

Interested in your opinions. Does this picture look like it’s reflecting the truth to you?

2 Likes

No, Rust provides far more safety than Python.

The only thing Rust provides over Python with regard to safety is compile-time type verification.
Almost everything else is the same otherwise - you won’t get undefined behaviour in (pure) Python.
I’d even argue that numbers with unlimited size give it an advantage.

3 Likes

Rust also guarantees safety from common multithreading bugs such as race conditions at compile time (if you don’t just use unsafe code to get rid of compile errors). That is more than Python does.

1 Like

Rust only protects statically against undefined behavior from data races, which is also not an issue in pure Python programs.

Many languages (Haskell, Java, C#, Python, JavaScript…) lack undefined behavior. The unique thing about Rust’s memory safety is that it does not rely on pervasive run-time garbage collection (or similar run-time systems).

7 Likes