Rustup version and updating

I just ran "rustup update" and it all seemed to go well until the very end, where I have these lines:
stable-aarch64-apple-darwin unchanged - rustc 1.69.0 (84c898d65 2023-04-16)
stable-x86_64-apple-darwin update failed - rustc 1.50.0 (cb75ad5db 2021-02-1

The disturbing thing is that I'm on an Apple Silicon (M2) Mac. What should I do about this? I'm not above erasing all traces of Rust and starting clean, if that's what it takes.)

since you are on Apple silicon, the x86_64 host toolchain is useless anyway, just uninstall it, I wonder how it get installed in the first place? if you need to build for x86_64 platform, you can simply add an x86_64 target and use cross compiling.

Whhat might be the incantation to do that? Understand that everything seems to work properly. "rustc --version" reports

rustc 1.69.0 (84c898d65 2023-04-16).

As to how things ""got that way", IIRC, I did "brew install rust" before I read about rustup.. That's why I wonder if a flurry of well-directed "rm -rf"'s foolowed by installing rustup as documented might be my best strategy.

Did you do "brew uninstall rust"?

Brew is great for many things - but don't know why rust is there...

I turns out I did not "recall correctly". At least "brew list" did not report the presence of rust."

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.