Rustup in other distribution channels (e.g. arch)

I'm trying archlinux for the first time, and while running the rounds to install software, I noticed that rustup is available through pacman.

Of course, rustup already has its own distribution model, and my gut reaction from having been an ubuntu user for several years is, don't use apt to acquire things with self-update mechanisms. But hey, that was ubuntu; maybe these are greener pastures...

What do others think? Are there any known advantages/disadvantages to installing rustup through pacman or related services?

The Arch package disables self-update (see the PKGBUILD).

Some people simply want to have everything managed by their system's package manager.
This gives you a consistent system-wide view, which also means all users can benefit (of course every user still needs to install the actual compiler)

1 Like

Well, there is obviously an advantage that you don't have to update rustup manually when it gets updated by the devs - arch package maintainers will make it for you (as long as you upgrade your system regularly).
Also, pacman keeps an eye on packages signatures and makes sure it's really rustup you're running, and not something else :slight_smile:

Ooh, very nice! I notice it also takes care of tab-completions (which I didn't even realize rustup had), and I imagine it will take care of man pages once those exist as well.*

Seems overall like one less thing I have to worry about, so I'll try it out!

*okay so there apparently there is rustup man, but I meant man pages for rustup itself