Rustfmt configuration variable for inline macro calls

I have been trying to make rustfmt stop putting macro arguments on separate lines.
I have checked the manual but didn't find anything.

I added a call to rustfmt to my build process in order to force a common coding style.

I'm using a logging library which provides macros for different log levels and I would like to make their calls one-liners in order to stop expanding the code for simple log-calls.

Currently the call:

error!("{} failed to so something {}: {}", &something, &reason.get_exact_reason(), &param.do_something());

will be reformatted to:

error!(
    "{} failed to so something {}: {}",
    &something,
    &reason.get_exact_reason(),
    &param.do_something()
);

which unnecessarily adds many lines of code if I want to make multiple logs in one function.

While I understand that reformatting the code in this way for normal function calls would make sense to improve readability, I don't think its necessary for something like log-calls.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Increasing max_width didn't help and would not necessarily be a good approach anyway, I think.

Unfortunately, I don't think rustfmt knows any difference here. It applies a one-configuration-fits-all perspective, and so if any function-call-like thing is too long, it reformats it.

I should be possible to accept longer function calls, but I don't think there's any precedence for configuring different max widths for particular functions/macros, while still having the shorter max width for everything else.

Increasing max_width a ton should allow this, but it'll allow other super long lines too. And it looks to me like rustfmt currently hardcodes function call width to 60% of max_width, so to set max_width big enough to accept this, you'd need the actual max width to something huge, like 180 or 200.

1 Like

Well that's interesting.
I was hoping for a parameter that either lets me ignore macros from formatting, or lets me increase the number of arguments (or the text length) until the reformatting is done.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.