Rustc: Missing .dll.lib when cross compiling on Linux for Windows

Context: I'm trying to make this Meson unit test work when cross compiling for Windows on Linux: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/tree/master/test%20cases/rust/4%20polyglot.

Build logs:

[1/4] /usr/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -Iprog.exe.p -I. -I.. -fdiagnostics-color=always -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -Winvalid-pch -O0 -g -MD -MQ prog.exe.p/prog.c.obj -MF prog.exe.p/prog.c.obj.d -o prog.exe.p/prog.c.obj -c ../prog.c
[2/4] rustc --target x86_64-pc-windows-gnu -C linker=/usr/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc --color=always -C debug-assertions=yes -C overflow-checks=no --crate-type cdylib -g --crate-name stuff --emit dep-info=stuff.d --emit link -o stuff.dll ../stuff.rs
[3/4] /home/xclaesse/.local/bin/meson --internal symbolextractor '/home/xclaesse/programmation/meson/test cases/rust/4 polyglot/builddir' stuff.dll stuff.dll.lib stuff.dll.p/stuff.dll.symbols --cross-host=windows
[4/4] /usr/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc  -o prog.exe prog.exe.p/prog.c.obj -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined stuff.dll.lib -Wl,--subsystem,console -Wl,--start-group -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -Wl,--end-group
FAILED: prog.exe 
/usr/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc  -o prog.exe prog.exe.p/prog.c.obj -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined stuff.dll.lib -Wl,--subsystem,console -Wl,--start-group -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -Wl,--end-group
/usr/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld: cannot find stuff.dll.lib: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

When cross compiling, stuff.dll.lib is indeed not generated by the rustc command. The same project when built natively on Windows works, that command does generate stuff.dll.lib on Windows:

rustc -C linker=link --color=always -C debug-assertions=yes -C overflow-checks=no --crate-type cdylib -g --crate-name stuff --emit dep-info=stuff.d --emit link -o stuff.dll ../stuff.rs

The test.json says:

{
  "installed": [
    {"type": "exe", "file": "usr/bin/prog"},
    {"type": "pdb", "file": "usr/bin/prog"},
    {"type": "file", "platform": "gcc", "file": "usr/lib/libstuff.so"},
    {"type": "file", "platform": "msvc", "file": "usr/bin/stuff.dll"},
    {"type": "file", "platform": "msvc", "file": "usr/lib/stuff.dll.lib"},
    {"type": "pdb", "file": "usr/bin/stuff"}
  ]
}

Looking at your logs you're building for the gcc platform, so it should indeed not have stuff.dll.lib as that's "platform": "msvc".

@chrisd hmmm, there is indeed something wrong there. I see that when Meson cross compile a normal C library there is a libfoo.dll.a file instead of foo.dll.lib, and rustc indeed created libstuff.dll.a in this case. That seems to be the link command that uses the wrong filename, probably a Meson bug then, thanks!

The naming is still a bit weird and I'm not sure that's intentional. As far as I understand conventions:

• MSVC has foo.dll and foo.lib
  • GCC has libfoo.dll and libfoo.dll.a

With rustc and GCC linker (when cross compiling for Windows) I'm expecting to be following GCC convention, and thus -o libfoo.dll should produces libfoo.dll and libfoo.dll.a but instead of produces liblibfoo.dll.a (notice the repetition of the prefix).

With rustc and MSVC linker I'm expecting that passing -o foo.dll would produce foo.dll and foo.lib but instead of produces foo.dll.lib.

That means rustc made its own brand new convention? Is that intentional?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.