Rust vs other languages for early stage prototyping Noob question

Being new to Rust it’s still not very efficient for me to use it in scenarios where I need a basic prototype to get a project started.
I feel like part of this is due to the learning curve of Rust. I’m a vim user and I feel like it’s a similar deal where after you get over that initial hump then it changes the whole picture.

I’m curious what others that are over that initial hump do. Does using rust at an initial prototype phase slow down overall development or is it just as efficient as other languages for the initial prototyping phase?
For me currently I end up prototyping in Go or Python and then if I run into performance issues then take that section and rewrite it in Rust.

Is there a point when it just becomes easier to write the whole prototype in rust or is it common to stick with this style of prototyping?

I find that languages with reasonably strong type systems are very useful when prototyping. In this stage of programming, you will often change various stuff such as exactly how the data fits together, and having a compiler point me at every line where I access the data according to its old structure is very useful compared to forgetting to update it and having it randomly crash at runtime.

That said, Rust's type system can restrict you in the kind of designs you can go for, so you probably need to have some idea of when a design fits the ownership model to effectively prototype it in Rust.

It's worth mentioning that performance is not a big consideration when I choose Rust for something. The advantages of a strong type system is a much bigger factor.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.