Rust, sloppiness, and gatekeeping

As a Rust programmer who's been using Rust for a few years now, I can say, without a doubt -- no, indubitably -- that Rust has made me a far better programmer. I can read C code and think about whether its safe in the context of what I know about what the Rust compiler might say if it looked at the code I was reading. The ironic thing about my transition to Rust is that its actually harder for me to write C/C++ properly now because I feel like its almost... Alien if you will. When I write the code, I think a lot about its safety and correctness and I'm always looking for ways I can make it better. If there is any language that shows you the major flaws in languages like C/C++, it is undoubtedly Rust. Sometimes I go back and look at old code and I wonder "What the hell was I thinking?".
So yes, I can definitely see how Rust would melt the brain of a programmer coming from C/C++ when they don't know the underlying concepts behind it all that well or are used to programming in C/C++. Rust forces you to be a better programmer, without exception. It rains on your parade and can definitely make someone look stupid/arrogant (you know, that "I'll just write this code and it'll work on the first try, they compile it and Rust wines because they did something wrong" kind of mindset that we all get once and a while).
Hope I didn't go off-topic or derail this one.

4 Likes