A friend and I are trying to launch a Startup. My background is in .NET (Mono/C#/F#), Scala and bare-metal C programming.
The 3 options we are looking at are:
Rust seems to combine the good parts of Haskell and C#
I was wondering whether the community thinks Rust is in a usable state?
I particular the following questions came up:
- Is Iron (or any other web framework) startup-ready? (The other option is ASP.NET Core with our own routing. I hate reflection based code.)
- Are drivers for RabbitMQ/Reddis/MangaDB/MariaDB in a stable state?
- Can we integrate Rust libraries in IOS/Android? Is mobile development possible?
- How much time does it take to really learn Rust well? I have experience with most languages(C#/Scala/Haskell/F#/C (bare-metal)) so I think I should be able to pick it up fast. But what about other devs?
- What is the state of tooling? Are there good linters we can use/contribute too?
B. The language
- Are there any use cases where a bad programmer can make big mistakes with the lifetimes?
In other words, is there an equivalent to null ? Something people always forget but the compiler doesn’t catch?