Rust crates worth reading? prefer < 2k loc; hard limit < 5k loc

1. If something like this already exists, please point me there.

2. This is meant to be in the spirit of https://github.com/aosabook/500lines , except in Rust, with < 2k loc preferred, 5k hard limit.

3. We can count lines of code via 'cloc' (or latest tooling).

4. If learned alot from readintg the source code of a trait, please post a link below (with a short description of what you learned / how it leveld up your programming skills).

5. Main focus is on what you learned from te crate (rather than whether you would use the crate in production) -- so please feel free to list crates that are a "toy implementation" of FOO, but happens to be very well written and instructive.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I'd shameless-ly plug one my own crates, since its purpose was kind of going in that direction:

https://github.com/danielhenrymantilla/mini_paste

• Note that since March or something like that, mini_paste does not offer any real feature over ::paste (not even compile-time), since at that point even ::paste stopped depending on ::syn/::quote.

That being said, it's around a 3-4 hundrer lines of code at most, and it does show how to:

• setup a procedural macro crate with the front-end / back-end pattern;

• with no ::syn nor ::quote;

• and nevertheless feature forging new idents with a procedural macro (in this case, concatenating idents).

2 Likes

That's a very broad request. Are there things you don't want? I feel like it wouldn't help you, if I dropped a link to my atomic cell code, next week, after finishing the prototype + documenting it. It features atomics and unsafe. It's going to be a small library, but also heavy to digest for beginners.

2 Likes

Also, although it is not really one crate, and it may be, in total, more lines than what you were asking for, I find that @anon15139276's blog post series from building your own async executor to its (comparatively) simple ::smol async framework, to be really interesting.

For some reason, though, the blog posts are no longer available (the reason I am trying to ping their author within this very post).

That being said, Internet being what it is, we got snapshots :grin::

1. Build your own block_on,

2. Build your own executor,

3. Why [they are] building a new async runtime [(smol)].

1 Like

I would recommend people err on the side of posting too many crates because:

1. even if it is not interesting ot me, it might be interesting to someone else

2. ignoring personally un-interesting crates is easier than finding interesting crates; I am perfectly happy skimming 50 crate github links for every crate where I read the source in detail

3. so if you think there is even a 2% chance there is something worth learning from, I would recommend posting it

1 Like
  • nginee (1.2k LOC) is something cooked up to support:
    • async, wasm, and winit together
    • shows testing of features in a workspace
1 Like

A somewhat old crate from Niko, but shows that graphs in rust doesn't have to be a painful experience at sub 100 LOC.
https://github.com/nikomatsakis/simple-graph/

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.