Rust beginner notes & questions

I think what might help here (as others have said) is some concrete code demonstrating what you want. I know I'm confused. It seems you have pointed out examples of what Rust should be doing, like C# Pipes, then only to back-track and say that no, that isn't what you thought it was. I think everyone (I know I am) confused by the insistence that it must be in core or std instead of on crates.io. I think the idea of a "Fat Standard Library" is wrong for a number of reasons (especially at this stage of the game). It is much more useful to iterate and experiment and provide alternatives in crates.io. It's easy to use stuff from crates.io. It's easy to create and publish stuff there. If something gains enough traction, it's easy enough to make an RFC to have it added to the stdllb or core if that proves valueable/prudent..

I truly feel that this is nothing more than a difference of opinion on the matter and that you are not "wrong" so much as the Rust crates.io concept is just "wrong for you" (in the sense that you don't like the idea of it). That's OK.

If I've misunderstood you in any way, my apologies. I've tried to follow what is being said, but, I'm not an expert on Rust (more of a lurker at this point), so, I could be missing something blatantly obvious.

6 Likes