Rust beginner notes & questions

I request that you be a bit more careful in your words.
I now understand that you mean "sympathy horrified": that he had to implement so many "wheels" himself, but my first three readings had me sputtering that you dare insult one of the most advanced, stable and high-quality Rust codebases out there.

@burntsushi has put a tremendous amount of thinking into his work, and has has gotten literally world-record speeds out of it. There is a reason that Visual Studio Code adopted it to power their search.

All your criticism seem to boil down to "why is this not in std?!?", and Rust's answer is: "so that brilliant people like @burntsushi can experiment inside crates, find the perfect API, and then we'll take it into std" (caveat: better yet keep it as an easily included crate. After all, "std is where libraries go to die_" in other languages).

The reason these crates are not there yet is because we're still building them. Rust's advancement stage might be at "level 4", age-wise it is still around java 1.1 levels.. there's only so much foundation you can build in three years with a mostly volunteer community.

I'm now taking a breather for a while, I find that I am physically angry from reading this..

Updated to add, I see that in the past 24 hours (post I hadn't gotten to yet when writing the above), this thread has taken a tremendously productive turn. I'm happily surprised! Thank you @peter_bertok and @gbutler for turning this heated discussion into a productive direction! : Heart:

14 Likes