Rust as the systems programming language

Hello, I am new to this community forum and rust language. I want to know the resources and roadmap to learn system programming concepts because I am new to systems programming. I want to learn systems programming using the rust language.

Please can anyone of the community members guide me for this? I would really appreciate your kind help.

Do you have any prior experience with programming in general?

Giving as much context as possible helps the community to better pinpoint the kind of resources that might be helpful in your learning process.

It really depends on what you interpret "systems programming" as including.

Regardless, I'd start with reading through The Book. It'll give you a good understanding of the language's syntax and semantics, plus it'll introduce you to a good chunk of the standard library.

Something I'll often do when learning a new language is try to implement a basic interpreter for a programming language. That tends to cover a wide range of fundamental skills like text processing and data structures. It's also big enough that you get to really use the language and make a decent sized project.

I find challenge sites like Exercism.io an Advent of Code to be fun, but because your goal is to get a specific answer as quickly as possible so you can move to the next challenge, it tends to steer you towards a pumping out low quality code. I get a lot of satisfaction from building larger projects and having something that I will still be happy to work on 6 months from now, so I don't really like those sorts of resources. That said, they can be good for practicing your algorithms and if you want well-defined problems to test your knowledge.

A resource I found incredibly educational was the "Writing an OS in Rust" blog series. It goes through a lot of nitty-gritty details of how your OS actually works and what you need to do to write your own kernel.

Depending on your past programming experience, it might be worth watching some of the videos on Jon Gjengset's YouTube channel at this point. He covers a lot of technical topics and the format of the streams (i.e. longer periods of un-edited footage where you get to see Jon figure things out in real time) are really good at showing you how someone might use Rust in the real world. The content is a bit advanced though, and it's best when you want to make that leap from intermediate to advanced level.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.