Running rust with Eclipse

I'm trying to set up Eclipse Rust on a Windows 10 PC. I downloaded Eclipse Rust. I downloaded Java so I could run Eclipse. I downloaded rustup. I downloaded MS C++ tools so I could run rustup. But after all that I'm getting the message "rls --version` response failed" when I try to start a project. Anyone know how to fix this?

I was an Eclipse user until support for it stopped. I currently use IntelliJ Community Edition for my editing, which is far, far better than Eclipse. Unfortunately, IntelliJ does not yet support debugging Rust, but VSCode does. I prefer IntelliJ enough that I continue to edit in it and use VSCode solely for debugging. That said, VSCode is a very nice environment in which to work with Rust.

I have VS Code installed. I wanted to setup Eclipse mostly because I use it at work for Java programming and I figured it might save some time learning the IDE so I could concentrate on learning Rust. But maybe I should just try using VS Code instead.

1 Like

At least for keybindings there are some extensions in Vscode at least that i'm aware of that try to keep the settings like other editors do (vim, emacs, intellij, ... Integration)

CLion, an IntelliJ product, supports debugging Rust, it's even quite good. But it's not free for non-open source work, so your point still mostly stands.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this up, I have CLion but hadn't even thought of using it for Rust.

That being said, VSCode has been all I've needed thus far... I'm a total performance geek and as far as I'm concerned, only a small number of editors have UI's which act fast enough for me, one being VSCode... Which is surprising because I know it's one of those Electron editors too... Atom used to be horribly slow, I'm not sure if it still is, and most IDEs are totally out of the question for me... One of the worst of all time being Microsoft Visual Studio.

When I originally read the VSCode suggestion, I was a little put-off because it didn't answer your actual question which was "how do I do x in Eclipse" specifically...

However, given your response and my experiences, I must say that VSCode doesn't take much time to learn, it's very lightweight and out of all editors I've used, I'd say it's pretty "just jump right in" capable, as long as you follow the suggestions and install the Rust extensions. Also, go to the menu and find out the hotkey to open the terminal and you'll be good to go :slight_smile:

It just so happens that VSCode provides a pretty darn good Rust experience compared to what I've dealt with elsewhere which would include MS Visual Studio, Eclipse, CodeBlocks, CLion, PyCharm, WebStorm, IDLE, Vim, Emacs, Sublime, Atom, 010 Hex/Text Editor and probably a few others. Kinda reminds me of Notepad++ but with a built-in terminal and nicer-looking UI.