[resolved] How to always export a trait from a module

I’m working on my standard new-programming-language project, a PEG parser-generator, and am having a bit of trouble with the Rust module system.

Files

lib.rs:

pub mod ast;

ast.rs:

/// AST nodes
pub trait Expr {
  fn is_nullable(&self) -> bool;
  // other trait methods
}

/// Matches any character
pub struct Any {}

impl Expr for Any {
  fn is_nullable(&self) -> bool { true }
}

// other node types

main.rs:

extern crate foo;

use foo::ast::{self, Expr};
// use foo::ast; // would rather do this, but it doesn't work

fn main() {
  let e = ast::Any {};
  println!("Any nullable? {}", e.is_nullable());
}

Now, I have this compiling, but is there any way to set it up so that use foo::ast automatically imports foo::ast::Expr as well? The entire point of the module is to define a number of types which conform to the Expr trait, so importing the module isn’t much use without it.

If there isn’t a way to do this, I assume there’s a good reason - would someone be so kind as to tell me what having that feature breaks? (Also, if there are any other newbie errors in my code here I’d appreciate correction.)

Would you be willing to tolerate use foo::ast::* or foo::ast::prelude::*?

I’m happy with foo::ast::*, thanks.

Also, for the curious, I found the explanation for why I have to import the trait separately (I’d missed it in my first read-through of the Traits section in the Rust book):

Importing a trait imports all the impls of that trait, which could be for types defined elsewhere, e.g. I could decide to impl Expr for char directly, as a single character matcher, and one of the names might clash with some other impl on char.