Reqwest not Posting to Slack Channel

Hi, I am trying to curl this json message to a slack channel, so I tried the following code:

let body = format!("payload={}", message);
let client = reqwest::blocking::Client::new();
let response = client.post(slackchan)
     .json(&body)
     .send()
     .unwrap();

Where slackchan is the link to the slack channel, and body is the string to be curled. However, when I run the code, it doesn't get sent to the slack channel. I know the link works, because in the ruby version:

body = {"text" => message}.to_json
`curl -XPOST #{slackchan} -d 'payload=#{body}'`

puts body

The body gets curled. Additionally, I know that body is not an empty string since I tried printing it before the reqwest post. I figure I am not using reqwest properly, or perhaps there's a different crate that would suit my needs better(I would prefer using reqwest since I need the string body to be formatted as a json file)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Let's see what curl -d does:

Sends the specified data in a POST request to the HTTP server, in the same way that a browser does when a user has filled in an HTML form and presses the submit button. This will cause curl to pass the data to the server using the content-type application/x-www-form-urlencoded.

I haven't used reqwest, but my guess is you should send a multipart request (side note: request, not response). That appears to be the equivalent of -d, and it lets you submit a form field called payload.

let form = reqwest::multipart::Form::new()
    .text("payload", serde_json::to_string(message)?);
let request = client.post(slackchan)
    .multipart(form)
    .send()
    .unwrap();

Like the Ruby code, the JSON encoding happens first before constructing the request.

Also, you'll need the JSON to look like {"text": <...>}. Make sure it's wrapped in that envelope.

2 Likes

I am having trouble using multipart, because when I tried the code you suggested, the error: "could not find multipart in reqwest". Under dependencies I have:

reqwest = "0.11.4"

And I tried both:

use reqwest::blocking::multipart;
use reqwest:::multipart;

But, it says "no multipart in root". Additionally,

.multipart(form)

Gives the error "method not found in reqwest::blocking::RequestBuilder".

The docs state that this function needs to be enabled by the feature flag multipart. You can enable this dependency feature by adding something like the following to your Cargo.toml

[depencencies]
reqwest = { version = "0.11", features = ["multipart"] }
1 Like

Thanks, that worked for me. However, now I'm getting the following error: "

.text("payload", serde_json::to_string(&message));
    |          ^^^^ the trait `From<Result<std::string::String, serde_json::Error>>` is not implemented for `Cow<'static, str>`

I think it has to do with the fact that I am formatting message as a JSON. How would I go about dealing with this?

Unpack the Result with ? or .expect or the like to handle failure.

To help understand that error, .text is written in a really flexible, albeit complicated, way. It accepts anything that can be converted into a Cow<'static, str>. A Cow<str> is a reference type that can be constructed both from borrowed &str references and from owned Strings. By accepting Cows -- or anything convertible into a Cow -- it is effectively letting you pass a &str or a String, whichever you happen to have.

It makes for a complicated signature and error messages but don't hold it against them. They're trying to be helpful, I promise.

What I'm getting at is that all the Cow business should be ignored. The important part is that serde_json is wrapping it in a Result<_> because the conversion could fail. Unpack it and you'll be good to go. The String inside it is convertible to Cow<&str> so that should be all you need to do.

2 Likes

Sorry I don't think I was very clear. The error is from the following line:

let form = reqwest::blocking::multipart::Form::new()
        .text("payload", serde_json::to_string(&message));

And the problem is:

error[E0277]: the trait bound `Cow<'static, str>: From<Result<std::string::String, serde_json::Error>>` is not satisfied
   --> src/main.rs:246:10
    |
246 |         .text("payload", serde_json::to_string(&body));
    |          ^^^^ the trait `From<Result<std::string::String, serde_json::Error>>` is not implemented for `Cow<'static, str>`
    |
    = help: the following implementations were found:
              <Cow<'a, CStr> as From<&'a CStr>>
              <Cow<'a, CStr> as From<&'a CString>>
              <Cow<'a, CStr> as From<CString>>
              <Cow<'a, OsStr> as From<&'a OsStr>>
            and 15 others
    = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `Into<Cow<'static, str>>` for `Result<std::string::String, serde_json::Error>`

Which I believe means that it expects .text() to contain a static and str instead of the current values which is a String, and a serde_json value. I tried .expect(), but the method isn't found for reqwest:blocking:multipart:Form.

You need to put the .expect("...") on the expression serde_json::to_string(&message), not on Form::new. This is because serde_json::to_string returns a Result value, which will be an Err if serialization failed. After that you should be good to go since Cow<'static, str> does implement From<String>.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, the following code compiles and runs now:

let form = reqwest::blocking::multipart::Form::new()
     .text("payload", serde_json::to_string(&body).expect("could not be formatted"));
let request = client.post(slackchan)
     .multipart(form)
     .send()
     .unwrap(); 

However, I still don't see the message curled to the slack channel. I'm unsure as to why I don't see the output. Just to be clear, this is using slack's webhook app.

I think you want serde_json::to_string(&message) not serde_json::to_string(&body)? Otherwise the value of the payload field will start with payload= which seems redundant, plus the Display formatting of message might not be the JSON you want (and anyway it will be wrapped in an extra level of quotes/escaping by serde_json::to_string).

2 Likes

Yes, you're right. I changed it to &message. However, I'm still unsure how to get the output to show in the slackchannel.

Is this the API you're using? That doesn't seem to use multipart requests, you would just do

.json(&message)
     .send()
     .unwrap(); 

That's assuming the Serialize impl for whatever message is produces an object like { "text": "blah blah blah", "other_field": "foo" }—you could use a custom wrapper type or construct message as a serde_json::Value to achieve that. I don't see anything about a payload field.

Payload isn't supposed to be a field. It's just part of the string message that I want to output to the slack channel. The code you just posted is what I initially tried(if you look at my first post), but that did not send anything to the slack channel.

I think the problem with your initial code is that you were just sending a JSON string as the body, not an object with a "text" field. If message is a String or &str, this should do the trick (untested):

let object = serde_json::json!({ "text": body });
     .json(&object)
     .send()
     .unwrap();

Sorry for the previous bad suggestion(s), I was a little slow getting up to speed.

1 Like

Thank you! That did the trick.
And don't worry about the suggestions it was a very long thread and I don't think I was being very clear/articulate.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.