for element in i.iter(){
        if curr!=i[element] {
            curr=i[element];
            i[j]=curr;
        }

}
    println!("{:?}",i)

}

Hi rustaceans, please I'm trying to remove duplicate from a sorted array but I got error: the type [isize] cannot be indexed by &isize
the trait SliceIndex<[isize]> is not implemented for &isize
required because of the requirements on the impl of Index<&isize> for [isize]rustcE0277

underlying

if curr!=**i[element]** {
            curr=**i[element**];
            i[j]=curr;
        }

First, what you want is Vec::dedup().

As for your code, I think what you want is for element in 0..i.len().

3 Likes

wow, thanks. This look easy, i don't even need to use slice. I can easily sort the vector ans use the other method to remove the duplicate. Oops, i still have a lot to read :slightly_smiling_face:

Your current code might run into a couple of problems

1. i is immutable, so even if your algorithm functions as intended, it can't change the data in i
  2. using iter or a for loop iterates over the elements in the collection, you want the indices

Problem 1:

To index mutably and change elements like you have, you would need to change the signature to:

pub fn remove(i: &mut[isize])

Then, however, you wouldn't actually remove the elements – with a slice you could only replace them.

ProbIem 2:

When you call the method iter to iterate over the slice i:
for element in i.iter()
The type element is a reference to the items in the slice i – in other words, a reference to the isize elements in the slice.

Indexing

To index a slice (access its elements by their position, as you have done with [] notation) you must use a usize, so it does not make sense to use the element as an index. What you're doing is sort of like if you had typed:

let a = &['a', 'b', 'c'];
a['a'] // <- Instead of this you might want a[0]

Fix

@chrefr's answer is likely correct – You can use the dedup method, but you will need to create a Vec from the slice (the slice is just a reference to a contiguous memory region, the Vec is a contiguous region but it has control over the contents):

pub fn remove(i:&[isize]){
    let mut v = Vec::from_iter(i.iter().copied()); // copied was used to ensure v owns its data
    v.sort(); // if your data wasn't already sorted, you would need to do this for dedup to work properly
    v.dedup(); // you can also check out dedup_by and others
    println!("{:?}",v);
    println!("{:?}",i); // i has not changed!
    // you would probably want to do something like return v here, 
}

You might not even need a separate function for this option...

You can read more about what iter does and see that it iterates over references in the documentation here: slice - Rust

1 Like

Wow, thanks so concise :hugs:

There's another solution which doesn't require either a separate allocation, or a Vec to begin with: just move the duplicates to the end!

fn dedup<T: Eq>(slice: &mut [T]) -> (&mut [T], &mut [T]) {
    let len = slice.len();

if len < 2 {
        return slice.split_at_mut(len);
    }

let mut last_unique = 0;

for next_candidate in 1..len {
        if slice[last_unique] != slice[next_candidate] {
            last_unique += 1;
            slice.swap(last_unique, next_candidate);
        }
    }

slice.split_at_mut(last_unique + 1)
}

Edit: Apparently, the same algorithm will be in std (currently unstable) under the name partition_dedup().

4 Likes

Nice one, thanks. It really great there are many approaches. Gonna study this very well. It involves generics

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.