Recruitment or advertisement/commercial posts: policy? category?

Thank you for starting this topic, you beat me to it :heart:
I'm not aware of any published policy, so I agree that it warrants discussion.

I agree that it is good to have a place for Rust job advertisements, since commercial symbiosis is a great way to promote Rustanceans sustainably.
That said, I personally find it a little bit jarring (but manageable in the current volume) each time a "shouty" job advert pops up in the topic list. The (few) advertisements I've seen here are usually by newly created accounts, that have very little experience with the "culture" here (Or even Rust in general, such as asking for "3+ years of experience with Rust", as we've seen earlier this year). I think our "club-house" should be open to this kind of thing, but the recruiters should at least wipe their feet on the doormat before they begin their pitch :slight_smile: Providing an explicit policy would be a great start!

I've brainstormed and researched a bit (i,e. ten minutes with a search engine, nothing spectacular), and here are some scenarios I came up with. I think it would be a good idea to make a Poll out of this in a later stage, but before doing that, I'd like to brainstorm more alternatives. (My previous polling experience taught me unwise to add poll-options afterwards, as it skews the results against the "newcomer option", Discourse actively discourages this by making it hard/moderator-only)

suggestions for Job advertisement policies (please expand!)

1. Running thread for all job postings (e.g. Jobs in Rust Development)
    • possibly as a "[sticky] post your jobs advertisements here", if volume starts warranting it?
  2. each job posting gets its own topic, uncategorised and/or #help;
    examples:
  3. each job posting gets its own topic, in new "#jobs" category (category name to be bikeshedded)
  4. job postings forbidden on users.rust-lang.org, since enough other venues exist:
  5. "Seller's market": posting job adverts becomes forbidden, but programmers may advertise their availability.
    (personally not too fond, seems arbitrary to me, but it would prevent the "five-minute-old-account" type advertisements)
  6. suggestions welcome!

(edit: made snarky jab at earlier job postings less snarky :flushed:)

1 Like