Re: Chrome stalls

@geebee22

replying to What's everyone working on this week (34/2022)? - #3 by geebee22

Have you come across the annoying stall situation where for no apparent reason Chrome stalls for many seconds? Nobody seems to know why it happens or have a solution.

What are you doing when the stall happens?

I have run into a number of "silent crashes" where no exception is thrown, and Chrome just hangs. Some subset includes:

1. when total ArrayBuffer (not wasm memory) exceeds 16GB

2. when trying to send 100+ 1MB ArrayBuffer from one iframe to another with postMessage + transfer list

3. when a tab (that I'm certain has no memory leaks) is left running too long (hours)

These might be different from yours, since 'stall' seems to imply 'recovery' whereas in my case, it's either reload tab (or if that hangs too, restart Chrome)

I just click on a link, and typically chrome stalls for something like 5 to 10 seconds before continuing.

It happens on different servers ( Microsoft IIS, Nginx.... ) so I don't think it is the server. I have seen it occasionally for years on different systems, either it is a Chrome bug, or it is some wide-spread incompatibility between Chrome and some servers. I used to assume it was some internet problem, but I don't believe that any more, although maybe it is partly related to some packet loss, as it can happen quite a lot and then it goes away for days and then comes back. I guess it is TCP connections that Chrome thinks is alive when actually they have died, but there must be more to it than that. I really don't know what it is.

I think it is maybe this:

I'm sorry, this is way out of my expertise.

I thought your problem was "I'm compiling Rust to wasm32, running it in Chrome, and Chrome stalls without any helpful error in Chrome dev console".

I did not realize your question was "Chrome stalls (in general)".

I have no idea how to fix this. Sorry.

1 Like