"programming Rust" book, paper versions shipping yet?

Hi everyone,

I was curious if many people have gotten their hands on the paper version of Blandy+Orendorff's Programming Rust yet?
The official O'Reilly source lists it as "Release Date: December 2017", so I assume that the first batches have been shipped to lucky Rustaceans!

I've had it on pre-order through Amazon (Germany) since May 2017, but Amazon tells me the delivery is currently expected to be "February or May 2018".
I guess that means the book is so popular that the first print was immediately sold out to customers who pre-ordered even sooner?

Who has the book already, and wants to share their first impressions?

I ordered it via from Amazon US to ship to the UK. Due to arrive on Thursday.

2 Likes

Oh, lucky you! I'm a bit jealous now :wink:
Did you pre-order it? Or is Amazon randomly picking lucky recipients, rather than FIFO?

Amazon Germany has been postponing since initial estimate of December 8. Now it says "Arriving 3 Feb - 6 Mar"

1 Like

Ah, I ordered in Germany too, so it seems to be a regional thing then..

I ordered one 12/31/2017 on Amazon and it seemed to have gotten lost. I asked for a replacement, and it shipped out and arrived last week. I did not pre-order. I live in New England.

1 Like

I ordered it from www.bookdepository.com on Saturday 13th Jan and just had a message this morning saying it is on its way 2-5 days (standard shipping) -- I'm in the UK.

Arrived today Wed 17th Jan :smiley:

1 Like

I remember ordering it on Amazon almost a year back when I was still fairly new to Rust. It arrived about a week ago (Australia).

Germany, it seems, will be the last one to be rustified. :pensive:

I'm in NYC, I got my copy Jan 2nd.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :heart:
I'm happy for all of you! (and politely envious :wink: )

Quality German Engineering! Always the last to Rust!

2 Likes

Which points to either good or bad market research, Germany is a huge sub-community.

Heh--I thought that maybe you'd be entitled to the first copy off the press!

Edit: nvm--just realized this is the O'Reilly book. :slight_smile:

I live in the U.S. and got my copy around Jan 4th via Amazon. So far, I've gotten to chapter 16. I'll probably share a more complete review once I finish.

My literal first impressions of "Programming Rust" is that it's physically thicker than I expected for a first edition. In terms of actual content, I'm really enjoying it right now. The book does a good job at comprehensively introducing each feature of the language. For instance, the chapter on Iterator walks through almost all of the adapters and shows examples of each one at work. Speaking of examples, this book has a lot of diagrams and pictures in it! Probably my favorite things about it that I couldn't get out of TRPL are the pictures of data structures (roughly) laid out in memory. The book is very visual and detailed, as a result I've been enjoying finding out about details of the language that I probably should know, but just never ended up learning. Best example of this would be the Utility Trait chapter that goes through all the weird traits that seem to be implemented for everything, but don't obviously belong to the api of a well known std module like net, io, vec, or sync. Traits like AsRef, Borrow, From, Deref, etc. It walks through them all and explains why they're useful. I also found the chapter on closures pretty helpful as it gives a good walk-through of FnOnce, FnMut, and Fn.

I'm somewhere between a beginner and an intermediate with Rust and I found this book to be a good review of the language for someone looking to call themselves an Intermediate. Much of it was stuff I already learned via either programming Rust on my own, reading parts of TRPL, and reading Stack Overflow answers. But even then, it filled a lot of holes in my understanding. Much of Rust's online documentation is designed non-linearly around hyperlinks in some way, shape, or form, making it easy to casually perused, but unlikely to provide 100% coverage in understanding. It's easy to get distracted and miss something. Programming Rust reveled many details about the language I just never got around to learning that I probably should have learned sooner. Stuff like the From and Into trait. It really helps that I'm actively working on a project right now, because every detail that the book teaches me is not so much a pedantic summary of a language feature, but more of a "Did You Know" discussion of the language - and I found myself discovering a lot of odd things that had clear practical value to my code in the immediate future.

The book is also quite funny and breaks up the long expanses of exposition with humorous examples and asides. As someone who doesn't find reading textbooks to be the most electrifying form of reading, I found the timbre and tone of the book to be quite pleasant. The book was a cozy companion to my curiosity during the snow storm that hit the east coast early January.

The one thing it's missing that other books of its ilk tend to include are mini-projects and exercises. Programming Rust has some cool projects at the beginning of the book, most notably the Mandelbrot set rendering program, but past that the book sticks to short code examples, tables, and diagrams. I'm not complaining (I love the diagrams!), but I felt I should point this out in case you find the utility of exercises important and/or like understanding concepts by tinkering with the code of a self-contained program. This is not the O'Reilly edition of Rust by Example.

Overall, I like this book a lot so far and would definitely recommend it to any beginner whose already written a fair amount of Rust code and is looking for a comprehensive and concrete walk-through of the Rust programming language.

20 Likes

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's also DRM free version of the book available? I would prefer not to buy Kindle version as much as possible.

can confirm it is a regional issue :frowning: mine is listed as 5-6 Feb (preordered somewhen september/october). Amazon Germany :frowning:

Programming Rust has already sold out its first printing. The second printing seems to be available and shipping now.

I have no idea how international distribution works. Apparently the length of the book constrains which printing companies can handle it.

I'm still waiting for my local bookstore (Powell's Books) to stock it!

11 Likes

Thanks very much for the kind words! I'm glad to hear the book has been useful to you.

Chapters 20 and 21, on concurrency and unsafe code, have more extended examples. Some have substantial parts that aren't directly related to the chapter's material, so we omit them, but the full code is available on https://github.com/ProgrammingRust/.

2 Likes

I ordered mine on Jan 3rd from amazon.com, it arrived in England on Jan 16th.

Pretty quick turnaround!

@infynyxx The book is available DRM-free in ePUB or PDF format on Google Play at https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jim_Blandy_Programming_Rust?id=hcc_DwAAQBAJ

You may want to check the Free Sample first before purchasing.

1 Like