Problems finding module when compiling

I’m trying to create a project that builds both a lib and a bin, but I’m having problems getting the compiler to recognize a module when building.

Here’s my project tree:

Here’s the error I get when I have the module in the src dir:

error[E0583]: file not found for module `hasher`
 --> src\lib.rs:1:9
  |
1 | pub mod hasher;
  |         ^^^^^^
  |
  = help: name the file either lib\hasher.rs or lib\hasher\mod.rs inside the directory "src"

So I’ve done what the compiler suggests and move the file to lib\hasher like so:

Now I get the following error:

error[E0583]: file not found for module `hasher`
 --> src/lib.rs:1:9
  |
1 | pub mod hasher;
  |         ^^^^^^
  |
  = help: name the file either hasher.rs or hasher\mod.rs inside the directory "src"

I have no idea how to get this to compile. Any advice?

Here’s the contents of my Cargo.toml if that matters:

[package]
name = "tool"
version = "0.1.0"
authors = ["Jeramy<none@none.com>"]
edition = "2018"

[dependencies]
crypto-hash = "0.3.3"
filebuffer = "0.4.0"

[lib]
name = "hasher"
path = "src/lib.rs"

[[bin]]
name = "tool"
path = "src/main.rs"
1 Like

What’s in your src/main. rs? And what happens if you name the file src/hasher.rs and remove these sections from your Cargo.toml?

So I figured it out, but I don’t understand part of the problem.

I placed my extern crates in the lib mod and that helped, but I also had to remove pub mod lib; from main.rs.

@carols10cents, I had the externs in main.rs and pub mod lib; I did what you suggested, removing the stuff from the config and naming the file src/hasher.rs and it still failed the same way.

Moving the externs to lib.rs and removing pub mod lib fixed the issue, although I don’t understand why. I also don’t understand why I was getting the error messages and why they would change to back and forth when I followed the compilers instructions.

Are you trying to use modules directly in the bin?

The usual approach is:

• Only the library part uses modules. All modules belong there. Some may be public.

• The bin includes the library

• The bin is one file only. It only uses modules indirectly via the library.

• Module files are never in both bin and lib.

If that is to limiting, split the project into two crates.

I think having pub mod lib; in bin was the biggest problem.

lib is a starting point for a library. You can’t reuse it as a module. The whole library will be compiled and made available to you in the binary automatically.