Problem compiling to wasm32

I’m trying to build a hello world example in wasm. I’ve followed the instructions in this article and I get the following error:

Error dump

error: linking with `emcc` failed: exit code: 1
  |
  = note: "emcc" "-s" "DISABLE_EXCEPTION_CATCHING=0" "-L" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib" "/home/me/devel/non-work/sandbox-rs/browser-test/target/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/debug/deps/browser_test-857fb2f0bd318beb.0.o" "-o" "/home/me/devel/non-work/sandbox-rs/browser-test/target/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/debug/deps/browser_test-857fb2f0bd318beb.js" "-s" "EXPORTED_FUNCTIONS=[\"_main\",\"___rdl_usable_size\",\"___rdl_alloc\",\"___rdl_oom\",\"___rdl_realloc_excess\",\"___rdl_realloc\",\"___rdl_alloc_zeroed\",\"___rdl_dealloc\",\"___rdl_grow_in_place\",\"___rdl_shrink_in_place\",\"___rdl_alloc_excess\",\"_rust_eh_personality\"]" "/home/me/devel/non-work/sandbox-rs/browser-test/target/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/debug/deps/browser_test-857fb2f0bd318beb.crate.allocator.o" "-O0" "--memory-init-file" "0" "-g4" "-s" "DEFAULT_LIBRARY_FUNCS_TO_INCLUDE=[]" "-L" "/home/me/devel/non-work/sandbox-rs/browser-test/target/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/debug/deps" "-L" "/home/me/devel/non-work/sandbox-rs/browser-test/target/debug/deps" "-L" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/libstd-2d68360a753fa4f5.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/liballoc_system-9972c7db0df95040.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/librand-ce1bc40dfee9b55f.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/libpanic_unwind-429ce49a29d5b09d.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/liballoc-1ece70250e8652cf.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/libstd_unicode-61b9d391a2fc6b86.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/libunwind-0df7ef13535f5ed7.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/liblibc-50d360f1fe8b2e62.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/libcore-c8fea11b48232c5c.rlib" "/home/me/.rustup/toolchains/nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/rustlib/wasm32-unknown-emscripten/lib/libcompiler_builtins-ebe31891daed2f11.rlib" "-l" "c" "-s" "BINARYEN=1" "-s" "ERROR_ON_UNDEFINED_SYMBOLS=1"
  = note: INFO:root:generating port: binaryen_tag_version_37.txt... (this will be cached in "/home/me/.emscripten_cache/asmjs/binaryen_tag_version_37.txt" for subsequent builds)
          INFO:root:building port: binaryen
          /home/me/.emscripten_ports/binaryen/binaryen-version_37/src/wasm/wasm-s-parser.cpp: In member function ‘wasm::Expression* wasm::SExpressionWasmBuilder::makeExpression(wasm::Element&)’:
          /home/me/.emscripten_ports/binaryen/binaryen-version_37/src/wasm/wasm-s-parser.cpp:871:9: error: this statement may fall through [-Werror=implicit-fallthrough=]
                   if (!strncmp(str, "wake", strlen("wake"))) return makeAtomicWake(s);
                   ^~
          /home/me/.emscripten_ports/binaryen/binaryen-version_37/src/wasm/wasm-s-parser.cpp:873:7: note: here
                 default: abort_on(str);
                 ^~~~~~~
          cc1plus: all warnings being treated as errors
          make[2]: *** [src/wasm/CMakeFiles/wasm.dir/build.make:159: src/wasm/CMakeFiles/wasm.dir/wasm-s-parser.cpp.o] Error 1
          make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:843: src/wasm/CMakeFiles/wasm.dir/all] Error 2
          make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2
          ERROR:root:a problem occurred when using an emscripten-ports library. try to run    emcc --clear-ports    and then run this command again
          Traceback (most recent call last):
            File "/home/me/packages/emsdk-portable/emscripten/incoming/emcc.py", line 2615, in <module>
              run()
            File "/home/me/packages/emsdk-portable/emscripten/incoming/emcc.py", line 1416, in run
              extra_files_to_link = system_libs.get_ports(shared.Settings)
            File "/home/me/packages/emsdk-portable/emscripten/incoming/tools/system_libs.py", line 701, in get_ports
              ret += filter(lambda f: not f.endswith('.txt'), port.get(Ports, settings, shared))
            File "/home/me/packages/emsdk-portable/emscripten/incoming/tools/ports/binaryen.py", line 29, in get
              return [shared.Cache.get('binaryen_tag_' + TAG, create, what='port', extension='.txt')]
            File "/home/me/packages/emsdk-portable/emscripten/incoming/tools/cache.py", line 100, in get
              temp = creator()
            File "/home/me/packages/emsdk-portable/emscripten/incoming/tools/ports/binaryen.py", line 24, in create
              ports.build_native(os.path.join(ports.get_dir(), 'binaryen', 'binaryen-' + TAG))
            File "/home/me/packages/emsdk-portable/emscripten/incoming/tools/system_libs.py", line 689, in build_native
              subprocess.check_call(['cmake', '--build', '.'] + make_args)
            File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 186, in check_call
              raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
          subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['cmake', '--build', '.', '--', '-j', '8']' returned non-zero exit status 2
          -- Building with -std=c++11
          -- Building for platform x86-64
          -- Building with -Wall
          -- Building with -Werror
          -- Building with -Wextra
          -- Building with -Wno-unused-parameter
          -- Building with -fno-omit-frame-pointer
          -- Building with -fPIC
          -- Building with -O2
          -- Building with -UNDEBUG
          -- Configuring done
          -- Generating done
          -- Build files have been written to: /home/me/.emscripten_ports/binaryen/binaryen-version_37
          [  2%] Built target cfg
          [  5%] Built target asmjs
          [ 14%] Built target support
          [ 17%] Built target ast
          [ 18%] Building CXX object src/wasm/CMakeFiles/wasm.dir/wasm-s-parser.cpp.o
          [ 22%] Built target emscripten-optimizer
          [ 65%] Built target passes

I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I’ve removed the -Werror and it seems to work (in CMakeLists), but this doesn’t seem to be a long term solution :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Derek. I’m running into a very similar issue. Could you provide some details on how to apply the temporary fix you had found?

The problem is that the compiler is setting all warnings to errors, and then the code generates some warnings that terminate the build.

I can’t remember which file cmake sets -Werror, but if you grep (or ack or ag) for -Werror in the build directory, you should find it (The directory is $HOME/.emscripten_ports/binaryen/binaryen-version_37 for me, and its location will be in the output).

I’m sorry this isn’t a more accurate guide - I forgot what I did! Emscripten will probably fix this soon - I think it’s caused by new warnings in gcc.

I ran into (probably) the same issue some time ago and I can second what @derekdreery recommends.
It seems to be fixed in upstream git, but as a quick fix, I did:

• Run the first rustc, just to encounter the error
  • Edit the CMakeLists.txt in $HOME/.emscripten_ports/binaryen/binaryen-version_37
  • Search for -Werror and remove that from the build options
  • Invoke rustc again, this time it will build

I remember that the problem involves implicit-fall-through warnings for switch statements, which were rather recently introduced into GCC. The option -Werror in CMakeLists.txt turns them into a hard error.