Permission issue with "cargo cinstall"

Hi,

I'm sure this is an easy question for the devs here.

I'm compiling the rust extensions for GStreamer on a Raspberry PI: net/webrtc · main · GStreamer / gst-plugins-rs · GitLab

The README states this for build and install for a particular module:

The plugin can also be installed system-wide:

$ cargo cbuild -p gst-plugin-cdg --prefix=/usr
$ cargo cinstall -p gst-plugin-cdg --prefix=/usr

Not surprisingly I'm facing a permission issue in the "install" step:

Error: CliError { error: Some(failed to copy `/home/pi/gst-plugins-rs/target/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/gstrswebrtc.pc` to `/usr/local/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/gstrswebrtc.pc`

Caused by:
    Permission denied (os error 13)), exit_code: 101 }

Rust is installed to my home directory, so the permission issue is ok. "sudo cargo" doesn't work either.

I could help myself meanwhile with this, but I don't like that much honestly:

sudo chown pi /usr/local/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/

Then the install works and the module is really there and usable.

Question is: Is there another way to tackle the permission issue?

Use --prefix=./some_local_dir (or perhaps --destdir) to install it locally and then move things afterwards (with sudo) if it checks out, or if you trust it enough,

sudo cargo cinstall -p gst-plugin-cdg --prefix=/usr

Thanks, but I don't have a rust installation for "sudo". Should I install it additionally as sudo then? Is that recommended?

I'm not sure how to interpret that.

What I meant in more general terms is, use sudo to perform the execution that gives you a permission error instead of using sudo to chown pi /usr/local/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/.

Nevermind. I meant, there is no cargo if I prefix it with sudo. Like sudo cargo gives not found or something. But disregard please, I'm over it

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.