Orion 0.15 - Argon2i, pure-Rust secretstream, extensive testing and benchmarks

orion is a cryptography library written in pure Rust. It aims to provide easy and usable crypto while trying to minimize the use of unsafe code.

GitHub: GitHub - orion-rs/orion: Usable, easy and safe pure-Rust crypto
Crates.io: https://crates.io/crates/orion

After 8 months since the last major update, I'm very pleased to announce orion has finally reached 0.15.

Overview of notable changes since the last update (v0.14):

• Focus on improving and stabilizing the API.
  • Added support for Argon2i(single-threaded).
  • Added support for a pure-Rust implementation of libsodiums secretstream. Thanks to snsmac for driving this effort.
  • Major improvements to the testing of the library. This includes a completely new testing framework, constant-time tests running in CI on OSX and Windows, as well as constant-time fuzzing using WASM with sidefuzz in orion-sidefuzz.
  • The library is now listed as an alternative to rust-crypto in the RustSec advisory database.
  • Performance improvements and newly published benchmarks in the wiki to give an overview of the performance that can be expected. Benchmarks include a daily workstation and Raspberry Pi 2.

(See full changelog here)

A huge thanks to the existing and the three new contributors that helped with this release and make the library a lot better!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.