Need some help with TraitObjects

So, the gist of what I want to do is this:

https://play.rust-lang.org/?gist=f9075fadae6659f0ab35744d2be84fbe&version=nightly&backtrace=0

More or less I’m trying to allow client code to write a default implementation of the function in A and make it be callable in B. Of course B::new_b() could receive a function as a parameter so the client could write a closure, but I don’t find it ergonomic (but if there is no other alternative, so be it).

Any alternative way of solving this is welcome.

But maybe I’ve been reading too much Modern C++ Design when no one is looking…

You don’t have any trait objects here, only “regular” traits that generate different versions of the code instead of doing dynamic dispatch.

struct<T: A> and impl<T> make it static dispatch.

Box<A> would be a trait object. And to have the dynamic dispatch you need to make an actual object, because it has to store the vtable somewhere.

Structs have an implied Sized requirement, which can be overriden by adding ?Sized:

struct B<T: A + ?Sized>

…but even then I don’t know how to make Rust accept A1 trait as the type.

But this works:

use std::marker::PhantomData;

struct B<T: A> {
    _pd: PhantomData<T>,
}

trait A {
    fn a(param: &B<Self>) where Self: Sized;
}

struct A1;
impl A for A1 {
    fn a(param: &B<Self>) {
        println!("Called from A1");
    }
}

impl<T> B<T>
    where T: A
{
    fn new_b() -> B<T> {
        B { _pd: PhantomData }
    }

fn call_a(&self) {
        T::a(self);
    }
}

fn main() {
    let b = B::<A1>::new_b();
    b.call_a();
}

I’m feeling really silly for not trying that…

Anyway, is there a more idiomatic way of doing what I’m doing?

Unless I misunderstood, it seems you’d require your callers to impl A so that you can then call it? If so, I’d find that less ergonomic than letting them pass a closure. What am I missing?

It’s mostly because the code of each closure would be extensive in the real code.

Also, most client code will probably use one of the ~6 common implementations that I can supply beforehand.

Sure, I can supply these implementations as functions and client code just pass the functions around…

I’m still not 100% sure what is the best way of doing it.

So if traits need to be impl’d just for the purpose of calling a function (i.e. they don’t have any other purpose in your lib), I think using functions/closures is more straightforward. Callers can use your canned versions or write a custom one.

Also, your original code has trait A and A1: A, with A1 providing a default impl. Just wanted to point out, in case this was lost, that your callers will need to impl A as well if they decide to impl A1 - there’s no inheritance/type hierarchy there. Then you end up with an impl that requires UFCS to resolve which “a” you want to call, and it’s confusing for the caller as well I think.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’ll do some refactoring now before the code grows.