Nannou build error

I've tried building the nannou examples from the repo as instructed in the build guide and even tried importing the nannou crate inside a project. But I'm always getting this error:
error: linking with `cc` failed: exit code: 1 = note: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lxcb-render /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lxcb-shape /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lxcb-xfixes collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I've tried searching for issues on the nannou github repo, but didn't find any solutions. I opened an issue. Hoping someone here can help.

You will need to install the xcb-render, xcb-shape and xcb-xfixes libraries and their dev packages. On Debian this would for example be

$ sudo apt install libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev

xcb stands for X C Binding and is a set of libraries to communicate with the X server. You may already have the libraries themself installed, but you need the dev packages to be able to link against it.

1 Like

The platform-specific setup section of the nannou guide provides more info on all the native dependencies of it: Platform-specific Setup - The Nannou Guide

1 Like

Thank you!!!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.