Multiple Trait implementations based on generic type bound

Hey guys,
I’m writing a small graph library to practice stuff from my computer science studies.
I have a generic data type Graph and want to implement fmt::Display on it.
Now I want to have 2 different implementations, based on whether T implements Display or not:
https://play.rust-lang.org/?gist=8aa367a10ad6f3a39d8fa56fb3c54eb9&version=stable
Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,
Anton

This is not currently possible, but will be enabled by specialization

I’m not certain if specialization will definitely enable this for Display because, last time I checked, specialization requires opt-in - it’s unclear whether traits and blanket impls will do that. But the technique itself should make cases like this possible.

A couple of workarounds that spring to mind:

1. Require T: Display for Graph<T>'s Display impl. Anything that isn’t Display can always be wrapped with some dummy type that implements Display but doesn’t do anything (or prints some placeholder text).
  2. Make Graph<T, F> where F is a formatting function that caller providers. They know their type, and can either delegate to its Display (if it has one) or provide some other output for non-Display. You can also skip the F generic parameter and instead store it as a boxed closure inside Graph<T> but require it during construction.

Looks like I’ll have to stick to the first case for now, don’t need Display that much anyways, I was just curious about what’s possible :slight_smile: Anyways, thank you guys a lot (and I definitely will look at this specialization thing anyways, looks interesting)

Have a nice day everyone
Anton