More ergonomy notes

If you keep using Rust std library/Prelude for a while you keep finding several small annoyances that I’d really like to avoid. As example I show part of the solution of the Euler Problem #107 ( https://projecteuler.net/problem=107 ), a function that just loads the input data. The input file looks like:

-,-,-,427,668,495,377,678,-,177,-,-,870,-,869,624,...
-,-,262,-,-,508,472,799,-,956,578,363,940,143,...

In Python you can load the network like this:

# Code#1
def read_network(path):
    return sorted((int(v[l]), k, l)
                  for k, v in enumerate(line.split(',') for line in file(path))
                  for l in xrange(len(v))
                  if v[l][0] != "-")

This is a possible (working) Rust function that does the same (I don’t load the file lazily because the input file is less than 6000 chars long, so it’s not a problem):

// Code#2
fn read_network(path: &str) -> Vec<(usize, usize, usize)> {
    use std::fs::File;
    use std::io::prelude::Read;

let mut data = String::new();
    File::open(path).unwrap().read_to_string(&mut data).unwrap();

let mut result =
        data
        .lines()
        .map(|row| row.split(',').collect::<Vec<_>>())
        .enumerate()
        .flat_map(|(k, v1)| {
            let v2 = v1.clone();
            (0 .. v1.len())
            .filter(move |&l| !v1[l].starts_with("-"))
            .map(move |l| (v2[l].trim().parse().unwrap(), k, l))
        })
        .collect::<Vec<_>>();

result.sort();
    result
}

Writing Rust code with flat_map() is sometimes a bit painful because of the borrowck.

This is “fantasy” Rust code, that should do about the same (some small bits could be wrong):

// Code#3
fn read_network(path: &str) -> Vec<(usize, usize, usize)> {
    seq!{(v2[l].trim().parse().unwrap(), k, l)
         for (k, v) in Text::new(path)
                       .unwrap()
                       .lines()
                       .map(|r| r.unwrap().split(',').to_vec())
                       .enumerate()
         for l in 0 .. v.len()
         if !v1[l].starts_with("-")}
    .sorted()
}

seq!{} is a standard Prelude macro to create lazy multi-for comprehensions similar to lazy Python generators, that avoids lot of map/filter/flat_map, and simplifies lot of code a lot.

.to_vec() replaces the very common and too much long .collect::<Vec<_>>().

Text::new(path).unwrap().lines() reads the buffered text file lazily by lines.

You can also add a simple eager load function read_file():
for (k, v) in read_file(path).unwrap().lines().map(|r| r.split(',').to_vec()).enumerate()

.sorted() is similar to Python sorted() function, it collects the items into an array, sorts it, and returns it.

Code#3 (11 lines) is still a little heavy compared to Code#1 (5 lines), but I think it’s quite more readable than Code#2 (20 lines).

Your proposed Text::new(path).unwrap().lines() is equivalent to BufReader::new(File::open(path).unwrap()).lines(), I think?

seq! is sort of a neat idea… but it’s not really buying much over the imperative for ... { for ... { if ... { v.push(x) } } } pattern.

Cleaned-up version of the main part of your Code#2:

let mut result =
        data
        .lines()
        .map(|row| row.split(','))
        .enumerate()
        .flat_map(|(k, v)| {
            v
            .enumerate()
            .filter(|&(l, v)| !v.starts_with("-"))
            .map(|(l, v)| (v.trim().parse().unwrap(), k, l))
            .collect::<Vec<_>>()
        })

There’s some difference:

fn foo1() {
    use std::fs::File;
    use std::io::{BufReader, BufRead};
    let rows = BufReader::new(File::open("data_file.txt").unwrap()).lines();
}

fn foo2() {
    use std::io::Text;
    let rows = Text::new("data_file.txt").unwrap().lines();
}

Shorter code, and less things to remember. I don’t know if it’s worth having in the std lib.

I don’t agree, that macro is worth having in the standard Prelude.

seq!{} is lazy, while those nested loops with a push are eager.

Also seq!{} could be chained with other things, as I’ve shown with a sorted(), unlike the nested loops. It works with and not against the iterators-chain style of programming.

Compared to for loops (lazy) sequence comprehensions get “chunked” better by the mind of the programmer. This means you see them better as a single “thing”, compared to for loops, this speeds up coding and code understanding. I have seen this while programming in both Python and Haskell.

That’s a bit nicer, thank you. Compared to the (hypotetical and untested) seq!{} version, your code has an extra array copy, with a .collect().

I can further modify it a bit like (also to remove a warning):

let mut result =
    data
    .lines()
    .enumerate()
    .flat_map(|(k, v)|
        v
        .enumerate()
        .filter(|&(_, v)| !v.starts_with("-"))
        .map(|(l, v)| (v.trim().parse().unwrap(), k, l))
        .collect::<Vec<_>>())

The inner collect can be eliminated if the k owned by the flat_map closure is moved into the map closure, thereby keeping the borrow-checker happy.

let result =
    data
    .lines()
    .enumerate()
    .flat_map(|(k, v)| {
        v
        .enumerate()
        .filter(|&(_, v)| !v.starts_with("-"))
        .map(move |(l, v)| (v.trim().parse::<i64>().unwrap(), k, l))
    })

(Playground)

(Edited for correctness) To elaborate: The flat_map closure creates another closure that is passed into map using the k that’s on the stack when flat_map is invoked. But since the map iterator is lazy and not immediately consumed, the k is unavailable on the stack by the time the map is enumerated. Thus, by moving k from the stack into the map closure you ensure that the map iterator is self-contained and not referencing invalidated data.

Edit: Any reason that the rust formatting on the block of code does not survive the final rendering? (It shows up fine on the preview.)

Sorry I just have to respond to all this, ergonomy is nice and all, less lines of code and all that, but personally I think readability is starting to suffer here. I don’t think the goal of programming should only be “Can I do this with the least number of characters?” You also should consider “Can I come back to this code in year and understand what the hell I was trying to do?”

Just my two cents…

Quick note: I updated the explanation since I conflated a closure owning something with that something being on the stack, which is the real cause of the compiler error.

Yes, that’s precisely the main point of this thread. There are several ways to improve the current Rust situation regarding code readability, code simplicity, and long-term manutenibility. Introducing some features like the seq!{}, sorted, and few more, is probably a win-win, because it shortens the code and makes it less noisy and more easy to fix and improve when you read it 6 months later.