Misleading error message with Result<_> and mutable references

Hello!
I have done simple Resource Manager to load textures and accidentally I ran into issue.
Manager was just simple HashMap and something that can loads textures from hard drive into memory.

fn load(&mut self, details: String) -> Result<Rc<Texture<'l>>, String> {
     //this doesn`t matter imo
    result
}

But when i changed it into:

fn load(&mut self, details: String) -> <Rc<Texture<'l>>{
     //this doesn`t matter imo
    result.unwrap()
}

Then on second and third usage of function I got:

error[E0499]: cannot borrow `manager` as mutable more than once at a time                                                             
--> src/main.rs:115:20                                                                                                             
    |                                                                                                                                 
113 |     let texture = manager.load("animbg.png".to_string());                                                                        
    |                   ------- first mutable borrow occurs here                                                                      
114 |                                                                                                                                 
115 |     let texture2 = manager.load("arrow.png".to_string());                                                                             
    |                    ^^^^^^^ second mutable borrow occurs here                                                                    
...                                                                                                                                   
347 | }                                                                                                                               
    | - first borrow ends here                                                                                                        

error[E0499]: cannot borrow `manager` as mutable more than once at a time                                                             
--> src/main.rs:117:20                                                                                                             
    |                                                                                                                                 
113 |     let texture = manager.load("animbg.png".to_string());                                                                        
    |                   ------- first mutable borrow occurs here                                                                      
...                                                                                                                                   
117 |     let texture3 = manager.load("foo.png".to_string());                                                                               
    |                    ^^^^^^^ second mutable borrow occurs here                                                                    
...                                                                                                                                   
347 | }                                                                                                                               
    | - first borrow ends here                                                                                                        

error: aborting due to 2 previous errors  

Line 347 is end of file of course.
fn load obviously needs mutable self since it is changing HashMap.
And this problem doesn`t appear if I just leave it as Result<_> and unwrap() at usage.

In my opinion it is at least very confisuing, does anybody know why is this happening?
I can of course put more code if needed. Anyway I mainly took SDL2 ResourceManager example.

Wowo

Could you please post a minimal viable example that shows this via playground?

So I tried to recreate the issue:
https://play.rust-lang.org/?version=stable&mode=debug&edition=2018&gist=d9d1df5e3f181cf04bb2fdf4b859791e

And everything works fine, only difference is instead of String I`ve got Texture<'l>

So back to my code, lil changes aand it also works same way -_-"
Sorry now I have no idea how to duplicate the “issue” if it was a case anyway :confused:

I think I should somehow delete the topic? :confused:
Sorry for thrashing the forum!

Wowo

Could you simulate the lifetime with a dummy struct.

Something like this

struct HasLifetime<'l> {
    lifetime: &'l (),
}

and you can make it like this

HasLifetime { lifetime: &() }

This is definitely a lifetime issue around lifetime 'l, so removing it will remove the problem.

You could also try to remove the lifetime from Texture, and this would solve the issue.

If it is possible, could you post a link to your code?

Imo it would be easier also, but I will need to ask you to wait until tomorrow. I will ask if I can set my repository to public. :slight_smile:

Wowo

Ok

Got a response from my professor and sadly I shouldn’t set repository to public before giving it to official check.
As the issue is no more and I can not reproduce it let`s close the topic for now at least.

For future issues promise to create minimal playground example before posting. :slight_smile:
Wowo