Match vectors by content

Hi all,
I have a finite set of vectors of specific length and I would like to use them in a match expression (or something similar). However a match on a vector does not match the content.
Here is a small testcode:

fn main() {
    let a = vec![2,3,4];
    let ref1 = vec![1,2,3];
    let ref2 = vec![2,3,4];
    match a {
        ref1 => println!("1,2,3"),
        ref2 => println!("2,3,4"),
        _ => println!("neither")
    }
}

This will always print "1,2,3" and the rest is marked as unreachable pattern.
Is there a standard way to match vectors or should I utilize a big if-then-else and check the vector against all reference-vectors?
Thanks

match arms must have patterns with compile time known constants. a vector is not. your code doesn't match against the values of the variables ref1 or ref2, but matches anything and bind a new variable ref1 to the value, so the first match arm always wins, and the rest are dead code.

1 Like

Yes I figured that out. Is there something more idiomatic I can use than

if a == ref1 {
} else if a == ref2 {
} else {
}  

or is this the way to go?

if the values of ref1 and ref2 etc are only known at runtime, then a chain of if else is the simple way to go (you have alternatives like using a hash map to store the continuation, but that's not something I would normally use)

if those patterns only contains compile time literal values, you can use the slice pattern, something like this:

fn main() {
    let a = vec![2,3,4];
    match a[..] {
        [1,2,3] => println!("1,2,3"),
        [2,3,4] => println!("2,3,4"),
        _ => println!("neither")
    }
}
1 Like

Thank you.
There are only compile time literals in those vectors. Thus your solution works.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.