Match Box variable types

I have a variable (Box<Any>) and a struct Null. I want to match that variable to check if it is Null.
I want to do something like this:

struct Null;

fn main() {
    let mybox = Box::new("Box");

match (mybox, Box::new(Null {}))
    {
        (Box(Null), Box(Null)) => println!("It is Null"),
        _ => println!("It is not Null")
    }
}

You need to have a look at the Option type. What you want is Option<Box<T>>.
Then you can use match to match against Some or None. See the TRPL and/or the Rust Docs for the Option type.

3 Likes

It doesn't work with match like that. You'd have to use downcast_ref, BUT the whole design is very suspicious and un-Rust-like.

Try approaching the problem differently, without the weird Null thing. Perhaps you need an enum? Or Option<Box<SpecificType>>?

Is it possible to match and do nothing if it is None, but do something if it is not?

That looks like a code smell! Your Null is a zero sized type and Option is the best alternative. Just for pedagogy, see the playground.

The Option<Box<TheType>> works with the match, but when I try to the value, I get Some(TheType)?

You can extract the contents of a Some with an if let:

let my_box = Some(Box::new("Box"));

if let Some(x) = my_box {
    // x is Box containing "Box"
}

This works on a match as well, but if you just need to handle the case where there's some value it's simpler.

let my_box = Some(Box::new("Box"));

if let Some(x) = my_box {
// x is Box containing "Box"
}

I only get TheType when I try to print it

Can you post your full code to the playground? What specifically are you printing? What is TheType?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.