Make `Rc<RefCell<blah>>` thread-safe

Hello,

I am using ggez, specs, and nphysics2d to make a game and I want to store nphysics2d's RigidBodyHandles in spec Components. To do this, I require RigidBodyHandle to be thread-safe.

RigidBodyHandle is defined as:

/// A shared, mutable, rigid body.
pub type RigidBodyHandle = Rc<RefCell<RigidBody>>;

How can I make RigidBodyHandle thread-safe? Is it even possible?

The thread-safe equivalent is Arc<Mutex<T>>.

Another alternative would be Arc<RwLock<T>>.

I like to think of RefCell as “single-threaded RwLock that panics instead of blocking”. :slight_smile:

That doesn’t solve the problem since I am getting that type from a third-party library :confused:

I don’t think there’s any way to wrap Rc<RefCell<T>> to be thread-safe, but maybe you can send a temporary reference instead? i.e. call borrow_mut() to get &mut T and wrap that in a mutex for sharing between threads. That would require threading with non 'static lifetimes though, and I have no idea if that can fit into specs.

Unfortunately, nphysics is incompatible with ECS. It’s really sad we cannot use it together with Specs.

Is there any other 2D physics library you could use?

nphysics was my first choice since I wanted to avoid dealing with linking other libraries or building wrappers.
I wanted to use wrapped2d but it had a build dependency on gcc which is a no-go for me.

I will hack around the limitation for now :man_shrugging: