LXC liblxc Rust bindings

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any interest in creating a Rust bindings project for liblxc GitHub - lxc/lxc: LXC - Linux Containers

Is anyone already working on this? I would like to help.

I'm mostly a Ruby/JavaScript developer and I never programmed in C/C++ but I would like to learn system programming and this seemed a nice excuse to me.

One application of it would be to setup and monitor local development environments. I already use LXC + Ansible to manage my dev envs and would be nice to have a tool to spin up stuff and keep it under control (LXC status, monitoring ports, etc).

Or maybe I'm thinking about a bad use case for Rust?

Any thought?

Thanks!

I think you should do this and you don't need any previous Rust experience. When I started Rust, the first thing I did was writing bindings to C libs.

@enricostano did you ever start a project for this? I'm in the market for the same bindings

@edhemphill nope :frowning: feel free to take it and please share here a link to the repo :pray:

Thanks!

@edhemphill are you working on this? I got a project idea and would be nice to play with it.

Maybe we can talk and give a try at it together.

@enricostano Has there been any work done on liblxc bindings yet? I am currently using LXC extensively at work and would love to help or even get started.

@apeduru this is how far I got :joy:

It just prints the LXC version :grimacing:

I would really find the time (and skills) to work on this, so if you feel like to open a repository working on it I'll try to help as much as I can.

Maybe we can even give a try at https://github.com/servo/rust-bindgen