[Linux] Building Rust from source fails with exit code 101

I’m trying to follow the instructions to build Rust from source for Linux. When I run /x.py build I get the following error:

expected success, got: exit code: 101 thread 'main' panicked at 'cargo must succeed', bootstrap/compile.rs:1091:9 note: Run withRUST_BACKTRACE=1for a backtrace. failed to run: /home/jen/rust/build/bootstrap/debug/bootstrap build Build completed unsuccessfully in 0:12:54

The full error message can be found here: https://gist.github.com/jfswitzer/52a7817be36f7de5e746ebee1991c72c

I’ve encountered the same error on two separate VMs running on different laptops. Both were 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04 machines.

I’ve tried running ./x.py clean but it didn’t seem to help, and ./x.py check also failed. I checked that my dependencies were up to date, tried uninstalling the previous version of Rust that I had installed beforehand, and tried running it with Cargo both installed & uninstalled.

Any tips for what to try next?

That’s not the full error message, just the final report of the build system exiting on error. There should be a lot more information before that error: Could not compile `rustc`.

Oh, one thing I can see though is a SIGKILL, which would most likely be an out-of-memory situation. You might even see an OOM reported by the kernel in dmesg output. How much memory do you have allocated to your VM?

Thanks for the tip, it appears it was an out-of-memory error. I only had 1GB of RAM allocated. Upped that to 4GB and the issue seems to be resolved.