Link.exe not found

I just installed rust but I'm getting a 'link.exe not found' error. After searching around I find it seems to be caused by somthing about the visual studio build tools. But I can't get any clear idea about what to do about it.

As far as I can tell I have the build tools installed.

Download and install visual studio community edition, as that's what has all of the pre-reqs and more. That's what worked for me.

I downloaded community edition and installed it. Still can't find linker.exe.

Could you try to find x## Native Tools Command Prompt for VS #### in the windows search bar? Once you're there, try running link and it should give you a little speech about its various parameters.

It it doesn't then there's something wrong with the installation. For example, I have 2017 installed with C++ build tools installed so it works in x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2017 but it doesn't in the 2019 version because I forgot to click on C++ Build tools there.

I did the search and only got web hits.

I did a serch on ' developer command prompt' and got to a prompt:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools>

I tried to run link from there and got no recognized command. So something is wrong with the install? I did a windows install by downloading an installation program. I don't remember ever seeing a 'C++ Build tools' to click on.

So how do I fix this mess? Uninstall and try again?

Ah, okay, then perhaps following these steps:

• Go to the location where your VS is installed and find the installer in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer. Run vs_installer.exe which could either update or just run. If it asks for an update, do it.

• You should see something similar to the following:

• From here click on More ▾ Modify

• Then toggle, under Windows, "Desktop development with C++":

• Then click Modify

• Wait.

That worked! Thanks! You are a peach!

1 Like