Lib.rs (was Crates.rs) — what's next?

I think @Dushistov is just using telnet to demonstrate the inability to connect, not that they'd actually expect lib.rs to offer telnet service. :smile:

8 Likes

Ah, the old "our Sys-Admin doesn't trust websites from the Sovereign Republic of Servia (a reputable country in mainland Europe), but does trust the obscure British Oversea Territory 'British Indian Ocean Islands', the likes of which are otherwise primarily known for tax evasion and financial scams".
(Of course: both generalisations are equally racist and offensive, and should not be used to support organizational firewall rules..)

@Dushistov: I'd argue that "trust the reader to accurately guess what I meant" is fairly optimistic, given the history of internet discussions :wink:
(I'd have used ping...)

I'm kind of confused here.

The telnet output seems consistent with an IP block, since it is failing to connect to IP addresses. It is successfully resolving the domain names.

But those descriptions that you gave are based on domain names, not IP addresses. Crates.io has an IP address in the United States, specifically Amazon AWS. Libs.rs has IP addresses at CloudFlare.

2 Likes

I'm on Win 7 at work and it seems it does not detect that my Firefox is on Dark theme, is there a way to manually activate the dark theme?

Nope. I've used prefers-color-scheme: dark in CSS, and this reads theme from the OS, not the browser theme. So it de-facto requires Windows 10.

So no hack to make it dark on Win 7? :frowning:

Unfortunately I can't use this. If I enable a dark GTK theme, Firefox makes buttons and inputs black with white text by default. Many websites override the background color but not the text color, so the text becomes invisible. That's why I have to use a bright GTK theme.

I can't help about GTK, but if you'd like, you can help changing how the theme is implemented to make it possible to switch themes without OS help: https://gitlab.com/crates.rs/style/issues/4

I'm creating a merge request now, is this what you had in mind?

Yes, thanks!

Hi!

I am not sure if it is correct thread to notify about lib.rs issues. But I fail to find some crates on lib.rs while crates.io shows them first. One example is textwrap crate ( I remembered that I used it but searching failed). How it looks in lib.rs:

librs-textwrap-search

screenshot from crate.io:

I've submitted an issue on lib.rs but duplicated it here to provide more details

I've managed to corrupt the search index, and reindexing of the whole thing from scratch is taking very very long time (fixed now)

6 Likes

A filter for packages with version 1.0.0+ would be nice to have.

Literally "1.0.0" filter wouldn't work. There are too many de-facto stable packages that are stuck with 0.x versions. I don't think libc will ever get 1.0. Move from 0.1 to 0.2 was called "libcpocalypse".

I'm trying to guess whether a package is "1.0-like" by looking at its age and number of breaking releases vs patch releases. It's already included in the ranking.

1 Like

What's so difficult about just bumping the version to 1.0.0, if it's stable, anyway? Doesn't have to contain breaking changes.

From Semantic Versioning:

How do I know when to release 1.0.0?

If your software is being used in production, it should probably already be 1.0.0. If you have a stable API on which users have come to depend, you should be 1.0.0. If you’re worrying a lot about backwards compatibility, you should probably already be 1.0.0.

Reply to topic, not the post immediatly above. :slight_smile:

I just hadn't heard about it. I tend not to use crates.io much except for searching. I tend to use GitHub for searching more than crates.io because GitHub stars tend to be a somewhat reliable sort method.

I use docs.rs a lot, but that is only when I already know the name of the crate I'm using. I use docs.rs constantly because I can just type docs.rs/crate_name and see what the latest version of a crate is in the url redirect.

I don't really know how you could have gotten the word out better to me. If it was on GitHub I would have been more likely to find it because mostly I discover Rust stuff through GitHub. :man_shrugging:

I'll check it out, though and try it for my crate searching needs. :slight_smile:

1 Like