Is there a Rust ERP?

Is it possible to build a rust erp that can communicate with physical machines and pull data through meta etc. I would like to start building a framework that competes with oracle and odoo and has all modules that all industries need from all marketing, web development, operations, shipping, IOT, etc. literally all modules any business needs to build compile and scale.

1 Like

For other readers: as far as I can tell (by searching for it), ERP should be referring to “enterprise resource planning”.

2 Likes

Well, Rust is a Turing-complete language, which means you can implement anything with it. That said, it doesn't mean you should.
For example, Rust is relatively lacking when it comes to frontend development - by lacking I don't mean libraries aren't available, but I mean the bulk of Rust programs tend to be backend focused.
Building the backend of your ERP service in Rust is definitely viable, and in my opinion, more maintainable than many other choices. The frontend - it depends. If you want to build a desktop GUI, there are fairly good libraries for it. If you want to go WASM, then it is also well supported (although WASM is itself a platform in its early days).
Of course, you can build your frontend using JS and HTML (and CSS) and make api calls to the backend. This is a very viable option. Alternatively, you can go monolithic as well - less ergonomic in my opinion but still fairly well supported.
Ultimately, it depends on the sort of developers you have at hand, your budget and time limits.

1 Like

It's possible to build one, sure. The original SAP ERP, back in the 70s, was written in assembler, for the IBM System/360 platform and for DOS, so it's clear that language is not really the barrier here.

I'm not aware of any ongoing projects to build an ERP in Rust, and it's not clear that Rust offers any particular advantages (or disadvantages) to doing so. It's also not clear why it would be valuable to start over and build a brand-new ERP, in a vacuum, though I'm sure there's still competitive advantage to be gained somewhere in that market.

Generally, the interesting constraints on an ERP system are about integration and business process, not about the implementation technology as such - the thing they're doing is replacing armies of clerks, not solving any particularly complicated programming puzzles.

3 Likes

So my biggest thing is incorporating meta and robotics into the erp such as augment reality and vending machine systems like gas stations etc where people are going fully automated.

Hi, I have been working on an ERP application (by Microsoft) for almost 12 years. The 'Idea' of creating a better ERP application fascinates me too. You can contact me if you are interested to explore it together.

1 Like

Enterprise ERP Software

1 Like

Please message me on Facebook Facebook.com/skyhookceo

Building an ERP requires a lot more knowledge and technical decisions than deciding on programming language ( I worked on one once). If you want to build one, I suggest to hire a developer that will explain that to you, as well as how to integrate with devices you want to integrate with (which may or may not require programming, depending on the device and your business arrangement),.

Having said that, I don't think Rust is missing anything required to build an ERP, It definitely is an ambitious undertaking on its own, but to say if Rust offers everything required and if it is best choice would require more details. In my opinion If the goal would be to produce something quickly, there are cheaper options. If you want solid design and reliability - Rust would be very compelling choice.

Yes, rust Is the language we dreamed for years . Few years ago we thought to developing owned ERP software with different kinds of modules. Oracle, Dot net was at our hand. But we did not go with them. We were looking for open source resources with performance and security as well as cross platform. Technology selection period kills huge times. After many pros and cons we thought none a single languages can full fill all demands . But our client doesn't wait for long time. So we have taken a intermediate decision. Emergency module built with php laravel for short time.

Now we have started to build the stable version by Rust. Our some native device related task fully okay by it. Hopefully in future GlobeERP will be a well-known example of Rust's ERP.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.