Is it possible to use high order functions instead of loops?

Hello,

I’m new to Rust and trying to learn it by trying to solve hackerrank.com problems. One problem is displayed below. My questions is that can I make it look more beautiful using high order functions? And how would it look if high order functions are used?

#![feature(old_io)]
#![allow(deprecated)]

use std::old_io;
use std::cmp;

fn main()
{
    let mut line = old_io::stdin().read_line().ok().expect("Failed to read line.");
    let l: u16 = line.trim().parse().unwrap();
    line = old_io::stdin().read_line().ok().expect("Failed to read line.");
    let r: u16 = line.trim().parse().unwrap();

let mut max_value: u16 = 0;

for i in l..r + 1
    {
        for j in i..r + 1
        {
            max_value = cmp::max(max_value, i ^ j);
        }
    }

println!("{:?}", max_value);
}

Using itertools, you can do the following:

extern crate itertools;
use std::cmp;
use std::io;
use itertools::Itertools;

fn main()
{
    let mut line = String::new();
    io::stdin().read_line(&mut line).ok().expect("Failed to read line.");
    let l: u16 = line.trim().parse().unwrap();

line.clear();
    io::stdin().read_line(&mut line).ok().expect("Failed to read line.");
    let r: u16 = line.trim().parse().unwrap();
    //                         Bug vvv see below
    let powers = (l..r + 1).cartesian_product(l..r + 1).map(|(i, j)| i ^ j);
    let max_value = powers.fold(0, |max_value, next| cmp::max(max_value, next));
    println!("{:?}", max_value);
}

The key to solving this in a more functional style is to gain intuition for what kinds of transformation each of the options does, and then apply that to the structure of your problem. I just did this by practicing a lot, I wish there was a better way :frowning:

For example, a fold is “i have a list of things and I want to make a single thing out of it” which is the fundamental operation you’re doing here.

@stebalien has already posted a solution, so I’ll leave it at that for now :smile:

Ok, thank you for your help :smile:

I cannot use libraries with Hackerrank submissions. So I cannot use cartesian_product() function to solve my problem. But it’s good to know that itertools library exists.

Actually, my solution is wrong anyways. You’re not actually looking for the cartesian product (my solution uses l..r+1 in the inner for loop). You could actually do this with flat_map (and drop the itertools dependency):

let powers = (l..r+1).flat_map(|i| (i..r+1).map(move |j| i ^ j));
// Move copies i into the closure to prevent lifetime issues.

Adding on to Steve’s comment,

• flat_map: I have an iterator of As and I want to produce iterator of Bs where each A contributes to multiple Bs but each B is derived from a single A.
  • map: I have an iterator of As and I want to produce an iterator of Bs where each A contributes to exactly one B.

That’s interesting. I was trying yesterday to combine map() functions too, but I got this lifetime error:

`i` does not live long enough

So now I know also that move copies i to another closure. Very nice, thank you!

This thread might be helpful (if a bit dated) http://internals.rust-lang.org/t/still-confused-by-move-vs-closures/1430/.