Hi. I am a Senior SW engineer with a mainly Java background. I have no knowledge of the c++ toolchain.
I have been looking at alternatives to Java for some time now and have had some very positive success with GoLang.
I am now looking at Rust as it is growing in popularity and I really like the idea of a language that will scale without a Garbage Collector.
I am also a big fan of a conpiler that picks up on logic errors. This seems to be a big feature of Rust. The language docs are also very good
My Development tools are IntelliJ on Windows 8.1 (For work) and VSCode on Windows 10 or Linux (for every thing else). I also have WSL2 installed on Windows 10.
The Help I need is with installation. I have been looking at this for a few days and I still do not have a Windows 10 (non WLS2) VSCode I can use.
- The installation instructions require the installation of Windows build tools for the c++ compiler and refers to a MS page where none of the tools match the stated, required tool.
Could somone please be very specific about the versions and tools required and update the installation docs.
Also the installation of the MS build tools consumes somthing like 4.5 gig and takes ages to install, really am not a fan of this.
- I also found it confusing what tool to use 'rustup-init.exe' has several versions with different sizes from different places. Which is the latest.
I finaly got to the point where I could create a project with cargo and compile and run.
I know VSCode is nothing to do with Rust but the tools are critical.
- Which version of VSCode! in the Rust Pluggin it says 1.8. The latest version of VSCode I can find is 1.40!
- Which pluggin (do I require both):
Rust language interface for VSCode.
Rust langusge support (rls)
- Do I go for the stable or nightly version. Do I go for GNU or the MSVC. There is no detailed explanation I could find.
- It finally loaded the rust tools but I cannot get Debug to work. I followed the instructions but they dont match the experience.
- I am currently getting a compile error in the VSCode terminal:
thread 'main' panicked at 'No root path or URI', src\libcore\option.rs:1188:5
note: run with
RUST_BACKTRACE=1environment variable to display a backtrace.
[Error - 10:58:52] Connection to server got closed. Server will not be restarted.
What am I supposed to do with this?
I have tried various 'VSCode with Rust' web pages via Google but they either do not refer to the same versions of the code I am using or just assume everything works out of the box. This is NOT my experience.
So I am stuck. I cannot build, run or debug in VSCode which is very disapointing.
The installation guides seem to be out of date and the tools are in a mess.
There is a load of Rust specific terminology that I am not familier with and I am sure others are in the same boat.
What toolchain am I using, how do I find out. Do I use stable or nightly. My experience says stable. The tools say they work with nightly...
I havent got to the WSL install or VSCode on Linux yet. I assume to toolchain is simpler.
I also (for similar reasons) can not get IntelliJ on Windows 8.1 to run with debug! It wants paths I do not know!
I really believe Rust should be easier to install and integrate in to IDE's.
Do I really need experience with c++ toolchain to get Rust to build!
Sorry for the rant but I have a load of frustration to vent.