I want friends through Rust

Hello @tuxmain!

Is your work related to cryptocurrency? I'm not familiar with cryptocurrency, so I want to know about it :pleading_face:

What did PHP do to you!

By the way, I also want friends to talk about javelin. Because I'm trying to implement a HLS function on it.
Please let me know when you've checked javelin :grin:

I'm a student, not a professional. This cryptocurrency is only developed by volunteers.

Like JS, you never know what type is a variable: e.g. "0" is considered as a number or an empty string, and '0e1234' == '0' is true.

Because it's not compiled, you only see an error when it happens, and some errors are ignored so the script continues with bugs.

I maintain a website run by PHP since 3 years (with a lot of interactions with database and uploaded files), it has always been a hell to fix a bug or add a feature. Sometimes something breaks and we just don't know why.

1 Like

You are a very high-level student for me... Students I know don't have such high skill.

That would make you tired... I've never maintained any services for 3 years, but I can imagine it is hard.

I have a paradox in my mind.

On the one hand Javascript is near the top of the list of my favorite languages because it is so extremely dynamic. Not having to clutter ones source with type specifications and and such makes it so nice to knock up a quick prototype. There is lots of other syntactic noise you don't need in JS compared to something like Rust or C++ or even C. JS has all those nice features like first class functions, closures the event driven programming model etc etc without any syntactic junk. Brendan Eich did a great piece of work with JS, it is masterpiece of language design. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

On the other hand I love Rust because it is so anal about types and reference aliases, the borrow checker and the rest. It can be frustrating in the extreme to get Rust to agree to compile ones code. But there is great confidence that when it does things are going to work. More importantly there is great confidence that when you come to make changes sometime later Rust won't let you accidentally break your program.

PHP on the other hand. Worked with it at the turn of the century. Horrible. Put me off having anything to do with web development for about two decades.

5 Likes

I agree with that! Sometimes I got unexpected error on using kotlin. (because of short of my skill tbh)
Rust makes me feel comfortable when I finished writing a code and compiling it.

I'm not a very good programmer though, Rust would be a nice friend of my coding life :smiley:

1 Like

That is true.

I quite enjoy a good chat with the compiler. Despite being amazingly strict and fussy (with good reason) the error messages must be the best I have seen from any compiler ever. And it offers helpful advice along the way. But be warned, that advice can lead you down a rabbit hole if you take it too seriously sometimes.

For the last 4 days I have been trying to put together some code involving socket and serial port communications. I decided to have a go at making it async, as is the modern fad, using tokio. So there was a lot to figure out. It was a very long conversation with the compiler...

I ran it for the first time today. Works fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Right! I sometimes get confused with what I should do for resolving an error, and it takes much my time.

I hope your rust life will be great :laughing:
What do you usually do with rust?

Whilst not as old as Iggy Pop I still have Rust For Life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJqBsrShys :slight_smile:

I'm not sure I have used Rust enough to say "usually". Just now I'm working on a project that:

1. Pulls data from traffic radars and forwards it to our "cloud" using NATS: https://nats.io/

2. In the cloud that NATS stream of proprietary binary protocol is parsed and decoded into object detections. Which are forwarded back to NATS as messages in JSON format.

3. Another process pulls those detected objects from NATS again, does some statistical analysis on them and pushes that to our Cockroach database: https://www.cockroachlabs.com/

4. A Rust Rocket webserver provides an REST API customer interface to that database.

Basically Rust has taken the almost every place we would have used node.js before.

Now if only I could get my partner on this project off of Python...

1 Like

Hi there,

Strictly speaking, rust is my first programming language in the real working life.
I was a test engineer in the last company for five years. I didn't need to program too much at work, I just wrote python stuff, but not that good at it, and know some basic knowledge on c/c++, I didn't think I'm a programmer.
I quitted that job, and I spent over 1.5 years to stay with my family. During this time, I began to learn rust now and then. At the beginning, it was really tough for me. After few months, I found I was still getting stuck in learning syntax stuff, no efficiency at all.
So I changed the way I learn rust. I collected some really small ideas that I understand them quite well, so I could focus on how to implement them instead of knowing the ideas in advance. At least, it worked for me.
Definitely, it's a good habit to talk the people who're from the community.

Now I'm in a startup for one year, and rust is my main language at work, but there're still lots of knowledge to learn in rust.
I really enjoy learning rust and coding with it!
BTW, I'm from China(we're relatively close), my english might be weird as well.

2 Likes

Rust for life! :joy:
Your work looks so fun! It feels creative, and I want to work like that :smile_cat:

Hello!

I think it is great that you did not give up learning! I would give up learning Rust by myself if I were you :sweat_smile: That's really great.

I think so, too. I want to learn loads of things throughout the community.

Wow! What do you do with rust at your work?

Cool, I like Chinese people who writes codes. :grin:

Your English is fine.

I use Rust because it doesn't garbage collect(GC) in the same way that Python. Java and Julia do.

My apps require real-time responses for online gaming apps and robotics apps without any GC interrupt issues.

C++ provided this real-time requirement but was prone to memory leak/pointer issues; whereas Rust provides all that C++ does but forces programmers to write better memory-related code that is far less likely to fail due to programmer error.

The Rust borrow checker forces us to write better code designs like Entity Component System(ECS). --El Paso, Texas, USA

1 Like

Hello!

I'm glad when my English is praised!

Wow! Do you develop online games in Rust and C++? I want to hear about it more :smiley:

@ Papillon6814

I prefer Swift than Rust. Because Swift improve my code efficiency and time is money.

I have been coding kotlin and php for developing android application.
After the android application development, I chose Rust for a server-side language of a new project.

Swift also has a cross-toolchain for Android and Liunx.

Remember don't have blind faith in open source.

Why reply? Because the rust forum email push:

Why do you say that? Why single out open source software in particular?

Certainly it's wise not to have blind faith in anything. But I have no reason to have blind faith in closed source software either.

I could give a hundred reasons why one should not put ones trust in closed source software. But that would be way off topic and has been demonstrated all over the internet for decades now.

9 Likes

I don't get it
I use rust for it's memory safety benefits and general peace of mind. I know that open source can sometimes cause a big mess, But I don't see why we should just ditch something because it's open source.

Isn't that why people use rust anyway? So we don't have to fix a bazillion bugs afterwards? I have only used rust at an amaeture level, but up till now I have only encountered literally one type of bug which happens at runtime (blocking on an async runtime). Everything else the compiler won't even compile. And when it does it just runs confidently. How is that not productive?

1 Like

You don't like Rust much? :cry:

Well, he certainly refers also to development time which is in average shorter in Swift than in Rust.
Swift also offers safety guards which aren't that high of that in Rust, but in most cases you don't even need the last 10% of safety in Rust.

1 Like

Why does he think swift is good at it? I just don't get it because I'm not familiar with both Rust and Swift.

Please tell me why anyone? :wink: